A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the same year as Gulliver's Travels were published, shows how the biting satire that marked many of Swift's public works was reflected in his public writings as well.

(A) A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the same year as Gulliver's Travels were published
(B) A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the same year of publication as Gulliver's Travels
(C) A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the same year that Gulliver's Travels was published
(D) Jonathan Swift wrote a newly discovered letter in the same year as he published Gulliver's Travels that
(E) Jonathan Swift wrote a newly discovered letter in the same year of publication as Gulliver's Travels that

Source: Veritas Prep

[spoiler]OA: C[/spoiler]
Last edited by magpie16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by magpie16 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
As I understand, idiomatic use of "same" are "same as", "same to", "same to X as to Y", etc. and it is wrong to say "same of" or "same that".
Requesting experts to comment on this.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aaggar7 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:53 pm
C??

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by swathi8388 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 pm
I think it might be C

A : were published is wrong
B : year of publication is compared to the book (same year of publication as Gulliver's Travels )
D : wrote a newly discovered letter doesnt make sense
E : same reason as D

Could you please tell me the source of this quesiton?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by conquistador » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:14 am
Need help from experts
Can some one explain why each answer choice is right or wrong(especially B and C)?

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 pm
(B) A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the same year of publication as Gulliver's Travels
(C) A newly discovered letter by Jonathan Swift, written in the same year that Gulliver's Travels was published

Please suggest what is wrong with Option B - -- I think it should be same year of publication as that of Gulliver's Travels

Option C is correct -- that should be in which same year in which Gulliver's Travels was published