A different profile

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

A different profile

by Prajakt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 am
Hi,
Please review my profile. I'm a doctor who has been working in an insurance company for 2.8 years (leadership 2 yrs).I had applied to IESE, Oxford, Cambridge and ISB. I was declined w/o interview by IESE, Oxford and Cambridge. I got a decline from ISB after the interview. I have applied to NUS (healthcare management) and the results are pending.
My long term goal is to work as a hospital administrator/medical director in a reputed chain of hospitals.

Work experience
Total work experience: 2.8 years (7 months as a medical reviewer and 2 years as an Associate manager)
I'm working as an Associate Manager in a Fortune 500 insurance company.
I'm handling a team of 15 medical reviewers who give their medical opinion on all clients who have applied for Life insurance. I joined Principal as a youngest medical reviewer in the team. Within 7 months, I got promoted to the post of associate manager.

Academic background
BACHELOR OF MEDICINE & BACHELOR OF SURGERY (M.B.B.S)
"¢ Secured First class with average 64.67%
"¢ GPA: 3.89/4

XII: 84%

X: 85%

Certifications

DHA: Diploma in Hospital Administration
Certificate in Medical Tourism
ALMI: Associate, Life Management Association from LOMA University
PLEdge: Principal Leadership Edge training program for young leaders

Achievements
Outstanding Performance Award at Principal Financial Group (2010)
Promoted to the post of Associate manager within 7 months of joining Principal Financial Group
"¢ Nominated for Underwriters' symposium in DesMoines, Iowa, United States
Nominated for PLEdge: Principal Leadership Edge training program for young leaders
"¢ Winner football competition (2012, 2007)
"¢ Completed 2 Half marathons (2012)
Best student award in 10th standard

GMAT
Total: 660
Quants: 49
Verbal: 31
IR: 4
AWA: 5
----------------------
My questions are:
1. Should I consider retaking GMAT? If yes, then which colleges should I target? I'm open to all locations.
2. What are my chances to get through NUS Healthcare MBA?
3. Are there any specific areas in my profile I should work on?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Prajakt Mahajan

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members

by Deena@ClearAdmit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am
Hi Prajakt,
Thanks so much for your post. I have worked with many MD/MBA applicants, and current MDs for MBA programs and I think your background looks solid. I would suggest perhaps targeting some additional programs including Wharton, Tuck, UNC, Duke, and Carnegie Mellon in the US. You might consider retaking your GMAT if you have the opportunity, AND if you think your score will increase. It's slightly low.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a free initial assessment of your current profile and to speak with someone about your background.
Best,
Deena
Deena Maerowitz
MBA Admissions Expert
Clear Admit

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 am
Hi, Prajakt, I am also an MD from India, and will be writing the GMAT in a few days. Can you tell me which Evaluation service you used to convert your UG Percentile to GPA? I am also looking at applying later this year, and am considering Wharton, Duke, Kellogg, Vanderbilt Owen, Cornell ...
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

by Prajakt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:01 am
Deena@ClearAdmit wrote:Hi Prajakt,
Thanks so much for your post. I have worked with many MD/MBA applicants, and current MDs for MBA programs and I think your background looks solid. I would suggest perhaps targeting some additional programs including Wharton, Tuck, UNC, Duke, and Carnegie Mellon in the US. You might consider retaking your GMAT if you have the opportunity, AND if you think your score will increase. It's slightly low.
Feel free to contact us at [email protected] for a free initial assessment of your current profile and to speak with someone about your background.
Best,
Deena
Thanks Deena. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll get back to you once NUS results are out. Thanks again!

Prajakt

by Prajakt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:14 am
vomhorizon wrote:Hi, Prajakt, I am also an MD from India, and will be writing the GMAT in a few days. Can you tell me which Evaluation service you used to convert your UG Percentile to GPA? I am also looking at applying later this year, and am considering Wharton, Duke, Kellogg, Vanderbilt Owen, Cornell ...
Hello vomhorizon!

I used World Education Services GPA calculator. It will cost you $5. I used it because it is quite cheap. Here is the link-
https://www.wes.org/students/igpacalc.asp

Wish you all the best for your future endeavours! I might join you next year if I dont get an admit from NUS. :)

Prajakt

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am
If your eventual goal is to work in a hospital setting (as a hospital manager, CEO etc) then have you considered a MHA? I would at least apply to some of the good programs if i were you ( UNC, Michigan, JHU etc)...Another option for you may be a MM Healthcare from a reputable program (Vanderbilt owen comes to mind). The reason i am considering an MBA instead of the options listed is that i am looking for a career change into consulting for which an MBA is better suited. Had i wanted to stay in the Hospital administration setup i would have seriously contemplated attending one of the top MHA programs in the US, as almost all the Hospital CEO's that i have met have at the very least an MHA ( Some have an MBA as well in addition to an MHA)..

Just my 2 cents..
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas