A couple SC Strategy Questions - Please help - any advice?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hi,

After finishing my SC portion of my GMAT preparation, I've noticed a few very important issues that I'm experiencing:

1. While timing my SC questions, I'm getting the questions right but completing the questions in approximately 2 minute per question. Is this a problem on the GMAT? How much time should I be spending on each SC question? I'm worried about this.

2. How are you guys tackling the SC questions exactly? This is what I'm doing (and tell me if this could be why I'm slow) per question: I read the question, and sometimes I need to re-read it because I don't fully grasp on to it or because I'm trying to find faults in the original question. I then write "A through E" on my sheet of paper, and from B onwards, I cross questions that don't beat "A". Once I get down to 2 questions, I select the most appropriate one.

Is there a smarter, faster way of handling this?

3. As of today, I'm moving to Arithmetic for a couple weeks. How many questions would you recommend I do for SC every day? I don't want to spend too much time so I can focus on my math.

4. Lastly, I just took the MGMAT and did horribly. When I went back to the SC questions I got wrong, its not because I didn't know the concepts. I got them wrong because I 'forgot' to look for those things in the sentences. Another reason why I think I got the questions wrong are because I was so overwhelmed by CR ad RC (the first half felt like all I was getting were CR and RC questions) that I started slipping. Is this necessarily a bad thing? How do I overcome this issue?
-------------------
Sincerely,

Piyush A.