A 32% wage-hike

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

A 32% wage-hike

by bedazzled » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 am
A 32% wage-hike, working four days a week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety is a demand that mangement must meet if it wishes to avois crippling strike.

(A) A 32% wage-hike, working four days a week, and above all higher standard of factory safety is a demand
(B) A 32% wage-hike, four-day work week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety is a demand
(C) A 32% wage-hike, a four-day work week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety is a demand
(D) A 32% wage-hike, working four days a week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety are demands
(E) Hiking wages 32%, working four days a week, and above all heighten the standard of factory safety are demands

OA : C

by abhishek.pati » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:39 am
(C) A 32% wage-hike, a four-day work week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety is a demand

Option C is correct as it is parallel and a is the common starting word here...!!!

by bedazzled » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 am
In this question I would mark C as a answer... but I marked D as my answer because I thoght "workweek" is improper word.

But answer says a different story. I could not understand why "workweek correct"??

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:19 am
what is the official explanation?

I thought 'are' is needed for agreement of all the demands...want to how a singular is justified for demands

by gsinghal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 am
I also don't understand why are is not used.

Since the sentence is trying to say that there were 3 demands that must be met by the management, if it were to avoid the strike.

Please help.

Thanks
Gautam

by bedazzled » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:58 am
bedazzled wrote:A 32% wage-hike, working four days a week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety is a demand that mangement must meet if it wishes to avoid crippling strike.

(A) A 32% wage-hike, working four days a week, and above all higher standard of factory safety is a demand
(B) A 32% wage-hike, four-day work week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety is a demand
(D) A 32% wage-hike, working four days a week, and above all a higher standard of factory safety are demands
(E) Hiking wages 32%, working four days a week, and above all heighten the standard of factory safety are demands

OA : C
In this question (C) is right because (C) applies correct parallelism here "A 32% wage-hike", "a four-day work week", and above all "a higher standard of factory safety is a demand"

"is/are" is still a doubt
Please explain....

GMAT Score:700

by mirantdon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:05 pm
Pretty straightforward
Parallelism issue ..
IMO c

GMAT Score:700

by mirantdon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 pm
Pretty straightforward
Parallelism issue ..
IMO c

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by suk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:12 am
I think the question is wrongly posted.

"C" has "are" NOT "is"..
Therefore, "C" solves parallelism issue,singular plural issue and hence the best answer.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
In this question (C) is right because (C) applies correct parallelism here "A 32% wage-hike", "a four-day work week", and above all "a higher standard of factory safety is a demand"

"is/are" is still a doubt
Please explain...

as there is a mention of 3 demands (in number).. and 3 is plural, therefore we need to use "are"

Also note, use of "and", IN THE SUBJECT, makes the SUBJECT PLURAL. Hence, the use of "ARE" is justified here.

A, B, and C ARE going to the party,

A and B ARE going to the party.

A, along with B, IS going to the party.

Here, we have not used "and". Therefore the use of "is" is justified... AS SUBJECT here is just "A" alone.