710 (92%) Q47 V39 AWA 6.0 ... Please comment

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710
I gave the test on July 12th. This website was very useful for getting good explanations on gmatprep problems, and I thank all the members of the community for that.

Test day

Essays were a breeze. I am hoping to get about 5. (Update..got a 6!)

Quant
Had to guess on last 4 quant questions. There were few exponential questions that I had no clue on how to solve, and one geometry question also was really tough.
Stats and probability were doable. As usual, some DS were tricky and I might have scored less there.

Verbal

Timing was great. I got 4 RC passages, I think I must have lost at least 1 or 2 points in sectional score because of that. I got a lot of SCs, and that probably dropped my score as well. In fact, I think I got about 10 CR, 16RC and the rest SC.

Prep material

OG11, OG workbooks, MGMA SC, MGMAT tests, Kaplan 800

Although, at some time, I did refer to princeton, og10, other manhattan guides and Kaplan regular book.

I did maintain a blog for tracking everything.. https://d4dial.blocked/

My background
Good acads. BS Mechanical Engg, MS Biomechanical Engineering. I currently work for Universities to help market, patent their technologies. I deal with several legal documents as part of job and with no academic legal background. I have supervised legal students at work, and have also taught a couple of labs when I was in school. That would pretty much be my supervisory experience.

Ex Curr.. Member of CRY and Unicef groups at the university I work at, and have some support work there. No leadership ex. curr experience.

Next steps
I started studying seriously from March08, and it took me a while to get to 710...my base level was about 560 in March. I am having some concerns on whether I should retake the gmat or not. I think if I retake it, I can get a 730, but that would probably be it.
So how good is a 730 as compared to a 710?
I have read other posts on the website, and general agreement is that a 710 will not stop my application, but it will not grant me a scholarship. Rest all depends on essays and interviews.
My only concern is that due to a slow down on US economy, there are several people now applying for top 10 b schools, looking for that edge. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for reading!!
Last edited by kiskopata on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:480

Well done

by uad105128 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:37 pm
Well done on Essay!
To move or not to move! The question is what moves you!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by derek » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:19 pm
I wouldn't bother with a retake trying to get from 710 to 730. 710 is a very competitive score for top b-schools.

Congrats!