690 ----> 720 in 15 days exactly !!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

690 ----> 720 in 15 days exactly !!

by Rezinka » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:02 pm
Hello

For the technically inclined, who are thinking that GMAT does not let you retake in 15 days, YES is does NOT. By 15 days, I mean the number of days I studied. I had my first attempt on July 2, 2011. Here's the brief :

https://www.beatthegmat.com/690-retaking ... 86398.html

Strategy, Books and Schedule
Well, after giving my first attempt and being disappointed at scoring in the 60s percentile in Verbal, I decided to retake it soon and scheduled another appointment on August 3. But unable to form a workable strategy after 15 days, I rescheduled it for September 3. Now, I did some R & D and found help right here. I responded to one of Danaj's posts and asked her to help me out. I needed no help in quant and as such she recommended me the following books:
1. MGMAT SC
2. CR Powerscore Bible
3. MGMAT RC
+ OG12
+OG Verbal Review

I made my study schedule on August 18 and started studying on August 19. I decided to slog for the next 15 days and get a 700+ score. Following was my schedule:
Date: 19,22,25,28,31 : 2 chapters of SC (with the questions at the end)
Date: 20,23,26,29,1 : 2 chapters of CR (with the questions at the end)
Date: 21,24,27,30,2 : 1 chapter of RC

I stuck to my schedule for the first week and then decided to go one step further and do 3 chapters everyday. Finally, I finished all 3 books. Could not practice the extra questions at the end - time crunch. During studying, I took fervent notes and studied them everyday before beginning a new chapter.

Test Day
I had my appointment at 4:00 p.m. and had not touched quant for the last 60 days. I brushed up the quant with notes from the last attempt, revised my new notes from the 3 books and watched some TV. I reached the center 30 mins prior to start time. After the initial process they let me begin. I got the best seat one can imagine. It had a single computer in a single room with a big desk and no noise coming in from anywhere. I was ecstatic at seeing the seat. The argument was familiar. I had practiced it (the last time) from the AWA list. The issue went well too. I thought the quant was a little challenging, guessed on a couple of questions. Then came the verbal section, I started out strong, felt confident. Got a boldfaced question. Was happy to see it as I had read somewhere that it does not come unless you are doing well. Verbal got a li'l easy towards the end - signal - not going too well. I did not bother and put in my best effort. Was happy with the overall performance.

After the routine information, came the time for selecting "Report the score". I clicked that and shut my eyes. I just opened them to see the verbal percentile and was happy to see an 8 there. Saw my score. Not great but good enough - 720 (94%)-Q50(92%)-V38(83%)

Things I missed/Advice for people looking for improvement
If you are working full time, take a little more than 15 days and get completely through with your materials. Finish the chapters in the end which enlist questions from OG. Take a few tests.

Ready for my applications now !!

Before I end, a very very big Thank you to DanaJ - if you happen to read this post

P.S. : I was working 8-10 hours, 6 days a week
Last edited by Rezinka on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:29 pm
Congratulations, you have got big heart. lot of people thunk that they can't improve verbal in short span. This post will be inspirational to them :)

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 pm
Congrats, Rezinka! I'm really happy that my recommendations helped out! You definitely have an awesome score, more than enough for even the top 3 b schools out there.

No time for resting though, you need to work on those apps! Good luck with the essays and such!

Dana

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 am
Congrats buddy, really a good instance of improvement in verbals in 15 days.

by Rezinka » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 am
Thanks guys
@prodizy : Verbal is difficult to improve but it can be done !
@Dana : Yeah, starting with my apps
@killer1387 : Thanks :)

by prashant misra » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:04 am
congrats rezinka you've got an excellent score.its really an inspiration for as i am lagging behind in both maths and verbal

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by saleem.kh » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:48 am
Congratulations dear.

I also find DANA as the best writer and adviser for GMAT preparations. I am preparing for GMAT test too and since start of the day, I'm following all recommendations of DANA. No body can even doubt that she recommends only specific company books...she is simply helping thousands and thousands of GMAT test taker, who are striving to find genuine review of different books and GMAT Prep.

I like the way she comments and tries to answer each and every question asked on her post, even on other posts. This shows her dedication and sincerity.

Thank you DANA for all. Really, every few people are there who can help others in such nice way.
Without hard work, nothing grows but weeds.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 am
Haha thanks, but it's true I haven't been as active. Best of luck with the test!