690 - Retaking - (Q50/V32) - Need help with Verbal !

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hello

First things first, I absolutely love this community. Great work.

Okay, so down to my story. I started planning for the GMAT in June 2010. I gave a test(with no studies, just wanted to check where I stand) and scored 680. Was impressed with myself and enrolled in some classes. They were very good but I could not finish the entire course as I got placed (I also graduated in 2010) and as it was my first job, I was very excited. GMAT had to be sidelined as my work was very demanding.

Last October I started searching for an online forum which could help me study as I could not take classes any more because of my work schedule. Found this perfect community and enrolled into the 60-day program. Initially I did fine but later with work, it became a li'l too much to finish one day's task in a day. Started breaking it into two days. Finished Quant and SC by December. Next, my sister's marriage was fixed and GMAT took a backseat for 2 months. After that, I started again, and finished the 60-day program. Scheduled the test for 1st July.

Meanwhile, my scores were always good in quant 49-50-51 but not very good in verbal. GMAT prep was in the 40s and MGMAT in late 30s. Overall, I would score in the 700s on my tests.

Now, as you can see, I have done very poorly on my verbal in the actual test. There were no extra factors to influence (Read: Not too anxious, no timing issue, perfect center).

So, now I need your suggestions to increase my verbal score.

P.S. : My analysis on Verbal : I get almost equal percentage of questions right in SC, CR & RC. Normally, get down to 2 options easily on all 3 types.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 am
Probably you can get additional practice in the form of CR 101, RC 99 and SC questions (all available at Aristotle.)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by deep.amangmat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:36 am
First of all Q50 is great. For verbal if you were in early 40s and late 30s in your practice tests, then may be you need just a bit more practice and the right approach. Try honing in at your weak areas using Grockit. This will tell you where you need to focus your energy on. And then prepare accordingly. I dont think you need to invest in any specific course. IMO, you should revise well...

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Rezinka » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am
Hey

Just registered for Grockit. Will try it.

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by deep.amangmat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:29 am
Great sounds good. Check out the debrief of @dubinsky as well. He also used grockit for the same purpose...:)