680 (Q49 V33) need advice! balanced score necessary?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hey folks,

Just wrote the GMAT today for the first time today, and I'm quite disappointed with my score. I'm considering a re-take. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

I've done well during the quant section, but I lost focus and confidence in the verbal section. I've done better in the verbal section on MGMAT CATs and GMATPrep. Anyhow, I'm left with an unbalanced and not-so-great score:

680 85 percentile
Q 49 85 percentile
V 33 66 percentile

I've done some research and most say that a balanced score is better. I'm planning to apply to Columbia.. and I suppose things wouldn't be significantly different there? Given that I want to focus on real estate (probably not the most popular choice at business schools), would that have any impact on admission decision?

Other things: I'm currently an equity trader with 3+ yrs of work experience in commodity/equity trading related role. 2.5 yrs of that at BP in their graduate development program in the nat gas sales and trading division. Also, Honors Bus Admin, 3.7 GPA at a top Canadian business school

Thanks guys!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 pm
When are you applying? If you're not applying this year, I would say taking it again is a good idea, even if only to improve 20-30 points...you're so close to the 700 barrier!

As for balance, if you're going to be unbalanced, being stronger in quant is definitely more desirable. Best of luck in what you decide to do!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hosuplee » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:55 pm
Thanks for your reply. I will be applying this year, which doesn't leave me a lot of time.. Columbia's deadline is by the end of the year. If I do decide to retake, I will have to do it in the next couple of weeks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by rohit_gmat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:02 am
go ahead with this score... i guess you fall in their 80% range anyway...