660..First Attempt ..Need Suggestions from everyone!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hello Everyone

Prepared for a month and gave my GMAT today.Score a 660 (Q48, V33). Here are my previous practice scores:

GMATPrep1: 710
GMATPrep2: 720 (After a month of preparation)
MGMAT CAT 2: 690
MGMAT CAT 3: 670
MGMAT CAT 4: 640
MGMAT CAT 5: 680
Veritas Free CAT : 700
Kaplan Premier CAT's: 700-720 Range

As you can see , I was so positive a 700+ show that I can't believe what happened on the test day!

Quant:

Started a little slow , was doing nicely till about 30th question , then I realized I was short of time. Had to run through last 5 questions. THIS NEVER HAPPENED in my CATs. So I realized while doing those last 5 questions that I had screwed my quant and in turn couldn't focus on the questions. Just for everyone's information , I got Q49 and Q50 on my GMATPrep's , and Q47-48 on all my MGMAT's all through. So I was confident of a Q50 on the test day. But scored a Q48. Not sure , a case of over confidence , or complete time mismanagement. Missed my target score by 2 points.

Verbal:

Handled time amazingly well since I learnt my lessons from Quant experience. Finished the test 3 mins before the end of time and scored a V33 . I was consistently score a 35+ on my GMATPrep's as well as MGMAT's. So missed my target score my 3 points on test day.

2 points on Quant and 3 points on Verbal and missed my 700+ target score :|

So I will be preparing for a month again and will give my GMAT again in September mid. I have two questions for everyone here:

My target score is 700+ , so:

1. Since I have exhausted GMATPrep and MGMAT's already , what CAT's should I practice for the next 1 month of preparation? And I have done OG twice , which other books/online material should I refer?
2. Am I safe applying to schools if I give my GMAT in mid September? I see most of the deadlines start in September. My target schools are

Kellogs
MIT Sloan
INSEAD
Columbia Business School
NY Stern

Awaiting for all your suggestions. Need to get that 700+ in a month anyhow!!

Thanks![/list]

by injotb123 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am
Can someone help?

I really need to know your responses to my questions. Thanks everyone!

by Busytrying » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:22 pm
Hey

Economist offer some CATs (5 with the higher priced plan), or 1 with the free trial - worth a try I'd guess.

Good luck!

by injotb123 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:26 am
I have heard about Economics GMAT programs. Do you think I should join the whole program for those 5 CATs? Is there anyway I can buy only the CATs?

Looking at my experience , does it make sense to re-take all the CAT's I took for the first GMAT?

Thanks everyone , really need all of your inputs.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:640

by c23678 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 am
injotb123,

Try Kaplan tests. They are good. You will get 5 tests with the purchase of Kaplan premier book.

by Busytrying » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm
injotb123 wrote:I have heard about Economics GMAT programs. Do you think I should join the whole program for those 5 CATs? Is there anyway I can buy only the CATs?

Looking at my experience , does it make sense to re-take all the CAT's I took for the first GMAT?

Thanks everyone , really need all of your inputs.
Hello

I can't offer insight into what you should do, but if all you want are the CATs the Economist may not suit you... it's a full online course... I guess it depends at how much you value the CATs and feedback you would get for them (you might want to read "What money can't buy" - M. Sandle on the topic of valuing goods & services haha really enjoyed it myself). At least get the free one that comes with the trial.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vanmishgmat2013 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:07 am
Hi,

Even I have scored 660 overall (48 - Quant, 31 - Verbal, 5 - AWT, 3 - IR). I am planning to apply to the following institutes:

1. Illinois - Urbana Champaigne
2. Penn State - Smeal
3. Michigan State University - Eli Broad
4. University of Pittsburgh - Katz
5. SUNY Buffalo

I have 2 years of IT work experience.

I've secured only 3/8 in IR, I am not sure if it will play an important role in the admissions process. I would like to know if it's possible for me to make it to any of these schools. Also, I would like to know if there's a need for a reattempt.

Thanks in advance!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gauravjuneja208 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:23 am
Hi vanmishgmat2013,

I am also applying to Katz and Suny in Round 2. Can you please share your experience of application in the same.