640 to 770

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

640 to 770

by camdoc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 pm
Although I have been trolling this website for a few months now, this is the first post that I have put on here. I took the GMAT for the second time today and scored a 770 (as the post topic reveals, my first attempt was not as stellar). Either way, I just wanted to thank all the people who have posted excel sheets, tip sheets etc for all these resources.
I don't really think that my experience with the GMAT was that different from the experience that other users have cited.
The three things, that I would like to mention though are 1) make sure that you get enough sleep before the exam and are relaxed ( it can work wonders, like improving your score from 640-> 770) 2) do not panic if the questions (especially) in the quant seem very easy half way through the exam 3) do not lose heart if you are not scoring that well on the Manhattan GMAT mock tests ( the highest score I ever got was a 700).
thanks again.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mals24 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:31 pm
hey camdoc congrats on your brilliant score and fantastic improvement.

Could you post a debrief of how you prepared for the GMAT and how differently did you prepare for the exam the 2nd time.
Plus the similarities between the actual GMAT and GMAT prep, your verbal prep etc.

Thanks in advance and all the very best with your applications :)

by camdoc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:26 pm
Sure, I guess I should clarify a few things first. I have a PhD in Applied Physics (ie. I am relatively comfortable with Math) and also as I am currently based at a university, I asked friends of mine who were studying English literature to teach me some English grammar.

The first time that I took the GMAT (in Oct 2008), I was very badly prepared. I had taken the GRE in 2002 and had score a 99% in that. Consequently, I was over confident about my chances with the GMAT. That coupled with the fact that I was submitting my PhD dissertation a week after the GMAT date, meant that I allocated a total of 2 weeks to study for the exam. During this time, I studied OG11, the Verbal and Quant books, Kaplan 800 and took three Manhattan GMAT practice tests and 2 of the GMAG practice tests.
Even in this short period of time, I discovered some basic problems with my practice. Firstly, even though I did every Quant question, I did not make a note of where I was making the errors. The result was that every time I looked at a question, I would forget the error that I had made in solving it previously. Secondly, I over analyzed the math questions and thirdly I did not practice my timing.
The result was that I scored a 620 in my first GMAT practice test and 640, 700, 660 respectively, in the three Manhattan GMAT tests and finished every exam in the nick of time.
The day before the actual exam, I took the second GMAT exam and scored a 700.
My GMAT exam was scheduled for the afternoon, and a consequence of sleeping for 6 hrs before the exam, cramming grammar rules till 5 minutes before the exam, and overloading on caffeine meant that I was extremely tired by the time I began my test. Remarkably, I actually believed that the quant section went well. However, by the time I got to the verbal section, I could barely read the questions, let alone comprehend them.
Not surprisingly my first score was not what I had hoped for. ( Q: 70%, V:74% Total 76%, AWA: 6.0)
Although, I wished to retake the test immediately a few extenuating circumstances prevented me from doing so.
I did not practice anything related to the GMAT till Jan 15th of this year. However, when I did start studying again, I first collected all the resources that are provided on here. Question banks, flash cards, even the excel time tables. I also made a note of all the questions, wherein I was making a mistake and kept checking them every time I practiced. I also purchased the SC guide and had some friends teach me how to break down the sentences. One of the interesting things, that I did find was that my problem with SC was that I did not know what some of the grammar configurations were ( ie phrases, clauses etc). I did use them in my day to day life, but knowing how to address them definitely helped.
I even did SC, whilst reading the newspaper or the internet ( You would be surprised how many mistakes some journalists make).
Anyway, after tabulating all the quant formulae, errors and SC rules, I read the printed sheets for 30 min every day. I did practice the GMAT exam a couple of times again but found that my timing was still off. So this last week, I worked really hard at timing myself.
That was it really. I slept for 8 hrs last night, had a good breakfast this morning and drank only one cup of coffee before the exam.
I definitely felt that I was a lot calmer about the exam the second time around. A certain lack of interest in the exam results also probably helped.
I would mention though, that I definitely felt that I had screwed up my Math, as I found the questions a lot easier. That and the fact that I finished my quant section 11 minutes before it was supposed to end made me think that I must have missed something.
Anyhow, I got the 770 (Q: 99%, V: 95%), so it must not have been the case.
I would definitely recommend the Manhattan material. The quant sections are definitely a lot harder than the actual GMAT exam.

thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by BlindVision » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:42 pm
Thanks for the share! Congratulations on an excellent score!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by clubtwofour » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:51 pm
Congratulations!!! That is a fantastic score.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by welcome » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 pm
camdoc,
Congratulations for the great score.

Can you please elaborate, how did you improved your timings, as I am facing the same issue.

Thanks.
Shubham.
590 >> 630 >> 640 >> 610 >> 600 >> 640 >> 590 >> 640 >> 590 >> 590

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:41 pm
Fantastic improvement!!
& thanks for the tips
welcome wrote:camdoc,
Congratulations for the great score.

Can you please elaborate, how did you improved your timings, as I am facing the same issue.

Thanks.
yeah please share...

by camdoc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:32 am
well, my timing was off in the Quant bit not in the Verbal bit ( I usually had about 15-20 minutes spare for the Verbal section).
For the Quant section I tried the following tricks
1. wrote down a scale before I began the section ie Q1 73 mintues remaining, Q5 65 minutes remaining..... The scale made pacing the section easier
2. I timed some of the tougher questions and noticed how much time I wasted on them, and then checked whether I had done them correctly
3. Carrying on from point 2., i questioned the cost-benefit of answering some of the questions correctly, ie where in the test I was and how important the question really was. To be honest, I was definitely prepared to skip over one question during the test, if it was later in the section rather than waste time trying to solve it.