580 GMAT (Q33, V37) <--Need help w/ retake study plan!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I took the GMAT last Saturday after 2 1/2 months of intensive studying so you can understand why I'm really disappointed with this score. I know that the practice CATs are not 100% accurate but here are my scores for the ones I took:

Princeton Review CAT #1: 590 (Q33, V39)
Princeton Review CAT #2: 590 (Q39, V33)
PowerPrep CAT#1: 650 (Q41, V39)
PowerPrep CAT#2: 700 (Q43, V41)

I feel like my complete anxiety and nervousness (to the point of making me feel physically sick to my stomach) psyched me out of the game and I know I'm capable of getting a better score with just a clearer head. That being said, I'd love some hints on how to study/improve before I take the next test. Although I have improved my quant score a lot, I think that is still the area I am most uncomfortable with. I also believe that sentence correction alone is what has kept my verbal score from improving. I have the luxury of time to retake so I plan on doing so but I need help formulating a retake study plan/strategy! I'm not sure where to start since obviously my first round study plan/strategy wasn't as effective as it could/should be.

My original study materials were Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT (2008), OG 11 and OG Quant Review. I've already done all of the review sections, practice tests and practice questions in these books so I guess I'm asking for recommendations for additional materials that might be helpful in a retake. Thanks!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

540 on the GMAT

by kamo » Fri May 02, 2008 8:40 am
We are about the same level , I felt like someone beat me to the ground when I saw my score. ok so first time GMAT I got a 420 , then I pounded it again and ended up with a 540. The third time ( I am weak with SENTECE CORRECTION TOO) I am studying with KAPLAN + OG 11 + OG QTV + OG VERBAL , and lets see where this will take us , in my opinion I understood the rules for SC but my recognizing abilities didnt kick in at the correct time.

Trust me I know what your going through , The only enemy to ANXIETY is organization , you need to get a timer , and start timing your self on packs of 20 questions from each section , once your organized , your brain doesnt get scared as easily from any question.

Here are some of the average timings of people who got >750 on the GMAT, try it , if this doesnt work , I will find another strategy for you :

PS - 1:40
DS - 1:15
RC- 1:45
CR- 1:37
SC - 1:30