• 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

2010 - Where are you applying?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 12
Joined: 12 May 2009
Location: Miami, FL
GMAT Score:750

by aiex99 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:00 am
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Current City: Miami
Nationality: Hispanic
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.26
Full Time Work Experience: 3 years
Application year: 2010
How far along in applicationprocess:Applying/Submitted

Schools interested in:
Georgetown
Emory
Michigan
Yale
Duke

Good luck everyone!

User avatar
Community Manager
Posts: 1049
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanked: 113 times
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:48 am
Welcome benissleeping, happybruce, and aiex99!

I knew there were more members applying in 2010. How are all of yours apps going? Any chance to visit your target schools yet? If so, what did you think about them?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 12
Joined: 12 May 2009
Location: Miami, FL
GMAT Score:750

apps

by aiex99 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:16 am
The applications are going, to say the least. Very time consuming. The worst part is asking the recommenders to take so much time to fill out so many forms.

I've had the opportunity to visit Emory and Georgetown and loved them both. Still have a few others on my list I want to check out. What I've gotten out of the trips and the interviews I've had is that the adcoms are really looking for the right "fit", so I'm not sure how important my "statistics" are over certain other things. Hopefully everything works out.

How does everyone else feel about their applications processes?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 36
Joined: 05 May 2009
Thanked: 2 times

by benissleeping » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:02 pm
Submitted HBS and Stanford.....now time for the anxious wait! Working on Sloan app.

I thought my whole application was pretty strong but as time passes, a bit of self doubt is creeping in. Was it really any good? Will I stand out? I have a sinking feeling that there are some really stand out apps out there from others :P

Oh well, I have documented my thoughts on the gmat and the schools in my blog.

Fingers crossed.

User avatar
Community Manager
Posts: 1049
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanked: 113 times
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

Re: apps

by dmateer25 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 am
aiex99 wrote:The applications are going, to say the least. Very time consuming. The worst part is asking the recommenders to take so much time to fill out so many forms.

I've had the opportunity to visit Emory and Georgetown and loved them both. Still have a few others on my list I want to check out. What I've gotten out of the trips and the interviews I've had is that the adcoms are really looking for the right "fit", so I'm not sure how important my "statistics" are over certain other things. Hopefully everything works out.

How does everyone else feel about their applications processes?


I think fit is the most important part! It's good you got a chance to visit a few of the schools. I'm not applying to programs until next year, but I am starting to go to MBA fairs and planning visits to my target schools. Best of luck to you with your applications and keep us up to date with how things are going!
benissleeping wrote:Submitted HBS and Stanford.....now time for the anxious wait! Working on Sloan app.

I thought my whole application was pretty strong but as time passes, a bit of self doubt is creeping in. Was it really any good? Will I stand out? I have a sinking feeling that there are some really stand out apps out there from others :P

Oh well, I have documented my thoughts on the gmat and the schools in my blog.

Fingers crossed.
I'm sure that your apps were strong. The waiting game will definitely make you second guess things. Best of luck and I will check out your blog!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 5
Joined: 23 Sep 2009

by g00gler » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:59 pm
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Current City: Bay Area (Silicon Valley)
Nationality: White
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.9
Full Time Work Experience: 6 years
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: Applying

Schools interested in:
Haas
Sloan

Haas app due Tue, eeeek!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2009
GMAT Score:650

by big3jt » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:03 pm
Here is my profile:

Age: 26
Gender: Male
Current City: Clevelnad, OH
Nationality American - Caucasian
GMAT: 650 from 5 years ago - retaking sometime in the next couple of months
GPA: 3.2
Full Time Work Experience: 4.0 years as of now
Application year: 2011
How far along in application process: Researching programs.

Schools interested in:
Johnson
Anderson
Marshall
Kenan-Flagler
Mendoza
Kellogg
Fisher

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 9
Joined: 07 Oct 2009
Thanked: 2 times

by happybruce » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:56 pm
can't add too much regarding application process b/c most of my applications will be targeting round 2 deadline. but having said that, i visited with a couple schools nearby and chatted with admission officers. and....(as if people already don't know what i'm about to write)

my impressions are "why" questions, rather answers to those "why" questions. why us school? why mba at this point in your career, why such field, etc. just typical questions one'd expect. one lady particularly wanted to know whether i'm a team player b/c that program hands out a lot of case projects to groups. what are your strengths and weaknesses as a leader, etc. :D

User avatar
Community Manager
Posts: 1049
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanked: 113 times
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:03 am
Welcome g00gler and big3jt!

g00gler wrote:Age: 26
Gender: Female
Current City: Bay Area (Silicon Valley)
Nationality: White
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.9
Full Time Work Experience: 6 years
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: Applying

Schools interested in:
Haas
Sloan

Haas app due Tue, eeeek!
Best of luck with the Haas app!

big3jt wrote:Here is my profile:

Age: 26
Gender: Male
Current City: Clevelnad, OH
Nationality American - Caucasian
GMAT: 650 from 5 years ago - retaking sometime in the next couple of months
GPA: 3.2
Full Time Work Experience: 4.0 years as of now
Application year: 2011
How far along in application process: Researching programs.

Schools interested in:
Johnson
Anderson
Marshall
Kenan-Flagler
Mendoza
Kellogg
Fisher
How is the GMAT prep coming? Planning any visits to the schools? I hope to visit Kenan-Flagler sometime next month.

User avatar
MBA Student
Posts: 78
Joined: 08 Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Thanked: 12 times
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

by ultraeasy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:35 am
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Current City: Berkeley, CA
Nationality: White
GMAT: 730 (50Q, 38V 5.0AWA)
GPA: 3.75
Full Time Work Experience: 6 years
4 years Airline Pilot
1 year International Jet Instructor (Montevideo, Uruguay) -Amazing job!
1 year starting a small flight school in San Francisco
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: Applying

Activities: Rock and Roll (perform on piano/drums often), sing/rap in a comedy hip-hop group, competitive distance runner in various running clubs, and volunteer for a Uruguayan textile exchange company.

Career Goals: To create a general aviation flight school franchise for business in the US and abroad, specifically Argentina and Chile.

I'm applying to these schools:

Stanford (submitted)
UC-Berkeley (getting close!)
UCLA (submitted)
Chicago GSB (submitted)
Kellogg (submitted)
UW Foster (submitted)


This has been a lot of work! But after the first few applications, they are coming together much faster with a better developed story!
Last edited by ultraeasy on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Community Manager
Posts: 1049
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanked: 113 times
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:23 pm
ultraeasy wrote:Age: 28
Gender: Male
Current City: Berkeley, CA
Nationality: White
GMAT: 730 (50Q, 38V 5.0AWA)
GPA: 3.75
Full Time Work Experience: 6 years
4 years Airline Pilot
1 year International Jet Instructor (Montevideo, Uruguay) -Amazing job!
1 year starting a small flight school in San Francisco
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: Applying

Activities: Rock and Roll (perform on piano/drums often), sing/rap in a comedy hip-hop group, competitive distance runner in various running clubs, and volunteer for a Uruguayan textile exchange company.

Career Goals: To create a general aviation flight school franchise for business in the US and abroad, specifically Argentina and Chile.

I'm applying to these schools:

Stanford (submitted)
UC-Berkeley (getting close!)
UCLA (submitted)
Chicago GSB (submitted)
Kellogg (submitted)
UW Foster (submitted)
UC-Irvine
Marshall
Johnson
NYU
UT-Austin
Darden
Pepperdine

This has been a lot of work! But after the first few applications, they are coming together much faster with a better developed story!
Looks like you are making some progress on your target list! Best of luck with the apps. Keep us updated with the status of your apps.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Feb 2009

by kek728 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:00 pm
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Current City: Chicago
Nationality: Asian
GMAT: 710
GPA: 3.73
Full Time Work Experience: 3 years
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: Submitted in R1

Schools:
Stanford
Kellogg
Haas
UCLA

User avatar
Community Manager
Posts: 1049
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Thanked: 113 times
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:54 am
Welcome, kek728!

Feel free to post in the individual school posts as well. Best of luck with your applications and keep us updated!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Thanked: 4 times
GMAT Score:690

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:20 pm
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Current Location: India
Nationality - Indian
GMAT: 690 [Quant-51, verbal-31]
GPA: don't know conversion formula
Full Time Work Experience: 3.5 years
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: RSubmitting in R2

Schools interested in:
INSEAD
Oxford - Said
ISB
INSEAD
Cambridge - Judge
IMD

Please suggest if I am on the correct way for schools. I am doubtful for UK univ. as my score shows sectional imbalance. Isn't it?

User avatar
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posts: 139
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Thanked: 14 times
GMAT Score:770

by shadowsjc » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 pm
i've been MIA for awhile, but still very much in the b-school hunt.

Age: 24 @ matriculation
Gender: Male
Current Location: USA
Nationality - US Citizen
Race/Ethnicity - Latino
GMAT: 770 [Quant-48, verbal-51]
GPA: 3.44 UG (engineering); 3.8 Graduate (Engineering management)
Full Time Work Experience: 2 years
Application year: 2010
How far along in application process: HBS submitted R1 (invited to interview); Consortium R1 app in process (due Nov 15)

Schools interested in:

HBS
Yale SOM (via Consortium)
NYU Stern (via Consortium)
Columbia (thinking about it)
my GMAT debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/came-through ... 44327.html

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right, but it will not come near you.

- Psalm 91: 5-7