1000 sc #207

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 sc #207

by magical cook » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:33 pm
Hi,

The answer is D) but it's confusing to me... can anyone give me a tip to find a correct one for this? :wink:

207. Charlotte Perkins Gilman, a late nineteenth-century feminist, called for urban apartment houses including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities.
(A) including child-care facilities and clustered suburban houses including communal eating and social facilities
(B) that included child-care facilities, and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(C) with child-care facilities included and for clustered suburban houses to include communal eating and social facilities
(D) that included child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities
(E) to include child-care facilities and for clustered suburban houses with communal eating and social facilities included

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

explatnation

by alugoya » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:38 pm
Hi
in the question (...called for appartments houses including child care facilities) could mean that Child care facilities are type of appt houses...
but in choice D, it says Appts that include these facilities(child care ...)

hope u got the tip
if this explanation is not sufficient..let me know...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sampleresume » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:29 pm
Could you please explain in more details?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by erjamit » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:35 am
Can anyone explain the difference between B and D

Thanks
Amit

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by shanrizvi » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:46 am
Well, even I got it wrong but I understand the error now.

"for clustered urban houses to include" changes the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence seems to suggest (although expressed incorrectly) that she was for clustered-urban houses that (ALREADY) include communal eating and social facilities. However, B suggests that they SHOULD include these facilities (like they should be added to existing clustered urban houses)

That is what I figured.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:24 am
even I did not get this question at all. Stacey or any of the gurus plzzz help in explaining the question and all the answer choices. I am not gettn it. This is the second time I have got this question on this site and got stuck again...

Very thankful to you!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rohan.saha86 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 am
Folks read Manhattan SC guide... Include is a bossy verb which according to rules shpuld be preceded by that and subject and command subjunctive or bare form of verb

that+bossy verb+subject+bare for of verb

only D satisfies this rule.