Young Children

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Young Children

by italian7745 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:49 am
Each child in a group of young children read aloud both a short paragraph and a list of randomly ordered words from the paragraph. The more experienced readers among them made fewer pronunciation errors in whichever task they performed second, whether it was the list or the paragraph. The order in which the two tasks were performed, however, had no effect on the performance of beginning readers, who always made fewer pronunciation errors when reading the paragraph than when reading the list.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain why the order in which the tasks were performed was not significant for the beginning readers?

(A) Because several words were used more than once in the paragraph but only once in the list, the list was shorter than the paragraph.

(B) In reading the paragraph, the more experienced readers were better at using context to guess at difficult words than were the beginning readers.

(C) The more experienced readers sounded out difficult words, while the beginning readers relied solely on context to guess at difficult words.

(D) Both tasks used the same words, so that the words the children read in whichever task was performed first would be recognized in the second task.

(E) The beginning readers made more pronunciation errors than the more experienced readers did in reading both the paragraph and the list.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:01 am
I think C is correct.

C explain why no effect on biginer

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:7 members

by grockit_andrea » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:51 am
C is the correct answer here. The question requires you to figure out why only beginning readers would consistently have an easier time with the paragraph. (A) would have an equal impact on both sets of readers, as would (D). (B) explains why the experienced readers would be better than the beginning readers at pronouncing words in the paragraph, but doesn't explain the beginning readers' performances. (E) is relevant to a comparison of the two groups of readers, but doesn't explain why the beginning readers were better at the paragraph. That leaves only (C), which is the only answer choice to point out a difference between the two groups of readers that would explain their respective levels of success with reading.
Andrea A.
Grockit Tutor
https://www.grockit.com

by italian7745 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 pm
OA is C

I did not understand?

by enniguy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:34 am
I did not understand why option C is better. Option B sounds good to me. Could someone please explain?