You may know the answer to this question...

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

You may know the answer to this question...

by skang357 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 pm
Ok, I'd like to apologize first of all because this is not a GMAT related question.

However I know that a lot of people here are probably going to know the answer to this.

So I have this idea for an E-business. Problem is that I don't know anything about computer programming or building a website.

How do I start the approach? I want to launch this professional a (with payment system) website in the next two years and I have some options for coursework at a community college.

1) I can take either an introductory HTML and the Internet class or I can take Dreamweaver or MS Expression Web or XHTML.

Which of these should I take to accomplish my goal?

2) Later on I also have the option to take PHP programming, Internet Programming, CSS Cascading ? or something, and other stuff like Java?

Why is there so many languages? I don't get it?

And lastly, I am enrolled to take a Visual Basic Programming class.

Is this something I should take too or am I just wasting my time? Should I take C++ programming instead?

Can somebody who knows what they are talking about just give me a short list of stuff I need to cover and take so that I can know what I am doing in terms of setting up and tweaking the nuts and bolts of an online business? (The webpage and all that internet coding shit???)

Thanks
Impossible is nothing

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:37 pm
dear skang357,
(I could not figure out what reply you're expecting here, still here I go:)
First of all of concrete your plan. Decide what exactly you want to do.

Learning/knowing web design/programming language is not the mantra for success in E-business. Also, it's not necessary for a webmaster to know all these scripting languages you mentioned.
(It might be the case 5/10 years back but today internet support system & infrastructure is mature enough to let a normal guy form a site.)

There're some free /paid online web-page template making services, you can use it for quick start.
Talking about scripting & coding, I think 'HTML' is elementary & one should be familiar with it's tags/codes.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by skang357 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:48 pm
aim-wsc wrote:dear skang357,
(I could not figure out what reply you're expecting here, still here I go:)
First of all of concrete your plan. Decide what exactly you want to do.

Learning/knowing web design/programming language is not the mantra for success in E-business. Also, it's not necessary for a webmaster to know all these scripting languages you mentioned.
(It might be the case 5/10 years back but today internet support system & infrastructure is mature enough to let a normal guy form a site.)

There're some free /paid online web-page template making services, you can use it for quick start.
Talking about scripting & coding, I think 'HTML' is elementary & one should be familiar with it's tags/codes.
Thanks aim-wsc.

Aren't the free/paid online web page template making services your referring to for amateur sites?

What if you want to create a professional site with payment systems and database? Then you need $$ to hire a team of developers and support team.

But for a guy like me, joe average, I may have a business plan, yet I don't have the $$$ yet.

I have to think that hiring some support team is going to cost me a considerable amount of consulting fee.

And then even when they are done with the work, it may be an ongoing thing where I want to make changes, maintenance, etc, so at least I want to know the basics to be able to do a lot of the things on my own.

And maybe it will be hard for me to get any kind of angel funding unless I have at least a viable and operating site with some business.

So that basically sort of means I have to create this stuff on my own as a one man gang.

Possible to do this? Any thought?
Impossible is nothing