would an MSRED help my MBA admissions chances?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'm shooting for a top-tier MBA. My first GMAT attempt was disastrous. I left the test center having learned a thing or two about how to study next time, not to mention a dent in my pride.

That said, I plan to take the GMAT again but am looking for ways to round out the rest of my application package. I graduated with a BS Bus Admin 3.3 overall/3.8 major gpa from Fordham and was wondering if a MSRED from NYU, etc., would help my application package or make it seem as if I'm scattered. I plan to concentrate in Finance or RE Finance. Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Superduperstudent » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:56 pm
Hi agresj,

An MSRED may or may not be a great idea for your career. However, MBA admissions boards are weary of "eternal students." Some people apply for an MBA because they don't want to be on the job market, can't handle being employed, or feel they're not ready to make the leap. These are NOT the people business schools want.

You already have a BS with an OK GPA. If you have time to kill right now, you need to do three things: work, work, work. Get leadership experience, start a business, volunteer at the local football club, anything to boost your resume.

If you need anymore advice, please feel free to contact me.

Good luck!
Go to www.superduperstudent.com for GMAT tutoring and MBA application support!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sawdle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:36 pm
I have heard that work experience is far more impressive than extra degrees. even an unpaid internship might help you more.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by Superduperstudent » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 am
Hi Sawdle,

I absolutely agree with you. Check out my blog post about this topic for more ideas.

Good luck!
Go to www.superduperstudent.com for GMAT tutoring and MBA application support!