Work Experience

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Work Experience

by rwrangler » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:25 pm
Stacy,

I understand that schools look at the applicant as a 'whole' during the admissions process and no one area will make or break your chances in general. However, if you had to rank GPA, GMAT score, Essays and work experience in order, which would you put at the top and which at the bottom?

My main concern is work experience. I would like to pursue an MBA right out of my undergrad because I feel my opportunity cost will be the lowest then. I have a nearly a 4.0 GPA (got one B) and do not expect to get below a 700 on my GMAT (I take the test in one month). I am a Media Studies major and a Spanish major with a business minor. My undergrad is at Buena Vista University in Iowa (small private liberal arts school). My main working experience is from two internships with television stations. I also have some leadership examples on campus as Production Manager of the University Cable Network, President of the Spanish Club, and a Senator on the Student Body Senate.

I am aiming for schools in the top 25.
rwrangler

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:09 pm
Hi rwrangler,

I understand your concern, however it's impossible to rank that criteria. I can tell you that the goal of the admissions process is to find students who have demonstrated leadership qualities, management potential, and admirable personal qualities. GPA, GMAT, essays and work experience are all simply evidence of who you are and your capacity for leadership, teamwork, impact on the world, etc.

There is definitely a trend towards early career MBAs. HBS is particularly friendly to applicants straight from undergrad. See this thread for an extensive discussion about this topic:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/which-top-sc ... t4774.html

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:08 pm
Hi rwr and amy,

I just had my Wharton interview and thought I'd like to share the experience. I was well prepared for "why now, especially when you're so young?" but the interview asked me point-blank, "do you have enough work experience?" (which incidentally is what you asked). I coped well enough by reiterating my career goals and emphasising the strength of the limited work experience I did have, but nonetheless I find it interesting that schools that recruit in these demographics still challenge you on such grounds.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:30 am
Hi Jelt,

Thanks for that insight - that is definitely interesting. If I had to answer that question I would likely focus on the quality of the work experience - some people might have 5 years but little progression, and if you've progressed and learned a lot over 1-2 years that may be "enough work experience."

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting