• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

wonderful P & C ques :

This topic has 8 expert replies and 7 member replies
Goto page
  • 1,
  • 2
Next

wonderful P & C ques :

Post
Rectangle ABCD is constructed in the coordinate plane parallel to the x- and y-axes. If the x- and y-coordinates of each of the points are integers which satisfy 3 ≤ x ≤ 11 and -5 ≤ y ≤ 5, how many possible ways are there to construct rectangle ABCD?

(Note that two rectangles that have the same four vertices that are labeled differently are considered to be the same rectangle.)
1. 396
2. 1260
3. 1980
4. 7920
5. 15840

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
ankitbagla wrote:
Rectangle ABCD is constructed in the coordinate plane parallel to the x- and y-axes. If the x- and y-coordinates of each of the points are integers which satisfy 3 ≤ x ≤ 11 and -5 ≤ y ≤ 5, how many possible ways are there to construct rectangle ABCD?

(Note that two rectangles that have the same four vertices that are labeled differently are considered to be the same rectangle.)
1. 396
2. 1260
3. 1980
4. 7920
5. 15840
Notice that, if the rectangle is parallel to the x- and y-axes, then the coordinates of the 4 vertices will be such that:
- 2 vertices share one of the x-coordinates
- 2 vertices share the other x-coordinate
- 2 vertices share one of the y-coordinates
- 2 vertices share the other y-coordinate
For example, the points (8, -2), (11, -2), (8, 4) and (11, 4) create a rectangle AND they meet the above criteria.
So, to create a rectangle, all we need to do is select two x-coordinates and two y-coordinates.

Okay, now my solution . . .

Take the task of building rectangles and break it into stages.

Stage 1: Choose the two x-coordinates
The x-coordinates must be selected from {3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11}
Since the order of the selections does not matter, we can use combinations.
We can select 2 coordinates from 9 coordinates in 9C2 ways (36 ways).

Aside: If anyone is interested, we have a free video on calculating combinations (like 9C2) in your head: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=789

Stage 2: Choose the two y-coordinates
The y-coordinates must be selected from {-5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
Since the order of the selections does not matter, we can use combinations.
We can select 2 coordinates from 11 coordinates in 11C2 ways (55 ways).

By the Fundamental Counting Principle (FCP) we can complete the 2 stages (and build a rectangle) in (36)(55) ways (= 1980 ways = C)

Cheers,
Brent

Aside: For more information about the FCP, we have a free video on the subject: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=775

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use my video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of these free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
19 Sep 2013
Posted:
269 messages
Followed by:
7 members
Upvotes:
94
Facebook Logo
Post
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
...

Aside: If anyone is interested, we have a free video on calculating combinations (like 9C2) in your head: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=789

...
Hi Brent,

Thanks for this EXTREMELY useful tip!

Regards,
Vivek

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
mevicks wrote:
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
...

Aside: If anyone is interested, we have a free video on calculating combinations (like 9C2) in your head: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-counting?id=789

...
Hi Brent,

Thanks for this EXTREMELY useful tip!

Regards,
Vivek
I'm glad you like it!

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use my video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of these free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
20 Nov 2013
Posted:
29 messages
Upvotes:
1
Post
Very nice tip - but one question, how would this work for other shapes, say, a triangle or parallelogram?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
For other shapes, we may be able to use pieces of the strategy.
For example, if one side of a triangle were parallel to the x-axis, then the two vertices on that side of the triangle would share the same y-coordinate.

Here's an example: http://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-coordinate-geometry-t157190.html

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use my video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of these free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
20 Nov 2013
Posted:
29 messages
Upvotes:
1
Post
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
For other shapes, we may be able to use pieces of the strategy.
For example, if one side of a triangle were parallel to the x-axis, then the two vertices on that side of the triangle would share the same y-coordinate.

Here's an example: http://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-coordinate-geometry-t157190.html

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks for that.

I am not sure why we can't follow the strategy you posted for the rectangle? In other words, why not get the probably (in no particular order) of picking two points along the x axis and y axis like we did with the triangle? Is it because a rectangle flipped upside down is the same shape while a triangle flipped might look different (for example, if the coordinates of the right angle were (0,0 vs. 0,8)?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor Default Avatar
Joined
12 Sep 2012
Posted:
2635 messages
Followed by:
117 members
Upvotes:
625
Target GMAT Score:
V51
GMAT Score:
780
Post
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
For other shapes, we may be able to use pieces of the strategy.
For example, if one side of a triangle were parallel to the x-axis, then the two vertices on that side of the triangle would share the same y-coordinate.

Here's an example: http://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-coordinate-geometry-t157190.html

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks for that.

I am not sure why we can't follow the strategy you posted for the rectangle? In other words, why not get the probably (in no particular order) of picking two points along the x axis and y axis like we did with the triangle? Is it because a rectangle flipped upside down is the same shape while a triangle flipped might look different (for example, if the coordinates of the right angle were (0,0 vs. 0,8)?
Yeah, that's essentially it. I don't think Brent was dismissing your suggestion; he was (wisely) refraining from endorsing this as a universally applicable one- or two-step method. You always have to consider rotations and reflections and determine which shapes are unique - these sorts of problems get well beyond GMAT difficulty very quickly.

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Joined
22 Jun 2016
Posted:
13 messages
Upvotes:
1
Facebook Logo
Post
Quick Question: While did we not multiply 1980 with 4! as we did in the 3 consonants and 2 vowels question(http://www.beatthegmat.com/how-many-words-t279187.html)?

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Paras_0111 wrote:
Quick Question: While did we not multiply 1980 with 4! as we did in the 3 consonants and 2 vowels question(http://www.beatthegmat.com/how-many-words-t279187.html)?
Here's an illustrative example to explain why.
The points A(8, -2), B(11, -2), C(8, 4) and D(11, 4) create a rectangle.
The points B(8, -2), D(11, -2), A(8, 4) and C(11, 4) create the same rectangle.

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use my video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of these free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
26 Apr 2014
Posted:
199 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
16
Test Date:
7/9/2016
GMAT Score:
780
Facebook Logo
Post
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:
Zach.J.Dragone wrote:
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
For other shapes, we may be able to use pieces of the strategy.
For example, if one side of a triangle were parallel to the x-axis, then the two vertices on that side of the triangle would share the same y-coordinate.

Here's an example: http://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-coordinate-geometry-t157190.html

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks for that.

I am not sure why we can't follow the strategy you posted for the rectangle? In other words, why not get the probably (in no particular order) of picking two points along the x axis and y axis like we did with the triangle? Is it because a rectangle flipped upside down is the same shape while a triangle flipped might look different (for example, if the coordinates of the right angle were (0,0 vs. 0,8)?
Yeah, that's essentially it. I don't think Brent was dismissing your suggestion; he was (wisely) refraining from endorsing this as a universally applicable one- or two-step method. You always have to consider rotations and reflections and determine which shapes are unique - these sorts of problems get well beyond GMAT difficulty very quickly.
Very true. This is already a very difficult counting question as is. Most other geometric shapes would probably produce results way outside the scope of the GMAT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a triangle... It would be 99C3, and then subtract all the combinations that produce 3 collinear points, which would be extremly difficult in a grid of this size. Especially starting from a total possibility of 99x98x97/6.

_________________
800 or bust!

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor Default Avatar
Joined
12 Sep 2012
Posted:
2635 messages
Followed by:
117 members
Upvotes:
625
Target GMAT Score:
V51
GMAT Score:
780
Post
800_or_bust wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for a triangle... It would be 99C3, and then subtract all the combinations that produce 3 collinear points, which would be extremly difficult in a grid of this size. Especially starting from a total possibility of 99x98x97/6.
Any time you're even using a word like concurrent or collinear, you know you're outside of the realm of the GMAT! Very Happy

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Joined
16 Jan 2017
Posted:
24 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
I solved it this way:

Rectangle ABCD

Stage 1: Choosing point A. The grid for this point is 9*11= 99

Stage 2: Choosing Point B. As Point B lies on the same y coordinate, we have 1 value for y and 8 possible values for x as one value of x is already taken for point A. Point B can be chosen in 8*1= 8

Stage 3: Choosing Point C. As Point C lies on the same x coordinate, we have 1 value for x and 10 possible values for y as one value of y is already taken for point A. Point C can be chosen in 1*10= 10

Stage 4: Choosing Point D. After choosing points A,B, and C the shape locks down and we have only 1 way to choose point D.

So, Total ways of shaping the rectangle is 99*8*10*1= 7920

What is wrong of my approach?

Thanks

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Zoser wrote:
I solved it this way:

Rectangle ABCD

Stage 1: Choosing point A. The grid for this point is 9*11= 99

Stage 2: Choosing Point B. As Point B lies on the same y coordinate, we have 1 value for y and 8 possible values for x as one value of x is already taken for point A. Point B can be chosen in 8*1= 8

Stage 3: Choosing Point C. As Point C lies on the same x coordinate, we have 1 value for x and 10 possible values for y as one value of y is already taken for point A. Point C can be chosen in 1*10= 10

Stage 4: Choosing Point D. After choosing points A,B, and C the shape locks down and we have only 1 way to choose point D.

So, Total ways of shaping the rectangle is 99*8*10*1= 7920

What is wrong of my approach?

Thanks
This approach allows for identical rectangles to be counted more than once.

For example, in your approach, we might select (4,3) for point A, then select (10,3) for point B, then (4,-5) for point C and then (10, -5) for point D This gets counted as 1 outcome.
However, if we select (10, -5) for point A, then select (4,-5) for point B, then (10,3) for point C and then (4, 3) for point D, this gets counted as a different outcome (which it isn't).

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Use my video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Sign up for free Question of the Day emails
And check out all of these free resources

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Joined
16 Jan 2017
Posted:
24 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
Quote:
This approach allows for identical rectangles to be counted more than once.

For example, in your approach, we might select (4,3) for point A, then select (10,3) for point B, then (4,-5) for point C and then (10, -5) for point D This gets counted as 1 outcome.
However, if we select (10, -5) for point A, then select (4,-5) for point B, then (10,3) for point C and then (4, 3) for point D, this gets counted as a different outcome (which it isn't).

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks Brent for the prompt reply!

Can you tell me why in this question you somehow followed the same approach I did that led to multiple counting?

http://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-coordinate-geometry-t157190.html

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh

Top First Responders*

1 Ian Stewart 44 first replies
2 Jay@ManhattanReview 35 first replies
3 Brent@GMATPrepNow 34 first replies
4 Scott@TargetTestPrep 31 first replies
5 GMATGuruNY 18 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

129 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

89 posts
3 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

53 posts
4 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

50 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

35 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts