why is this correct - mgmat question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

why is this correct - mgmat question

by lalabee » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm
1st - i'm not quite understand why A is the correct answer - coz "at least as .. " this phrase sounds weird to me ...
2nd - i thought since "influence" is the main verb in the 1st part of the sentence, i would need "impact" verb in the 2nd sentence.
3rd - what is the correctly format - "greatly impact" or "impact greatly"

please let me know.

thanks.
Attachments
SC.JPG

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: why is this correct - mgmat question

by joshi.komal » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:29 pm
lalabee wrote:1st - i'm not quite understand why A is the correct answer - coz "at least as .. " this phrase sounds weird to me ...
2nd - i thought since "influence" is the main verb in the 1st part of the sentence, i would need "impact" verb in the 2nd sentence.
3rd - what is the correctly format - "greatly impact" or "impact greatly"

please let me know.

thanks.
Hi there,

1) Read the explanation of the answer, it states that starting with the word 'Although' is signaling a comparison. Now a comparison between which two things. It is the impact of govt. policies and management. So if you rewrite the sentence as 'management decision have an impact as great as impact of govt policies' the sentence would become too wordy. By introducing 'at least as ' this comparison has been achieved without making it too wordy . The govt policy is implied, since the only thing having an impact and mentioned prior to this is the govt. policy and restating the same thing would make it wordy. I hope you get what I mean.

2. You should look for the main verbs and subordinate verbs only when something is occurring as a result of the first thing. In this case I feel all the verbs are at the same level. In this case the the structure for parallelism just 'Nouns' (govt policy and industrial sector , and management should be parallel).

3. IMO it should be 'greatly impact' in this case consider this sentence 'the speed at which the car hits the tree greatly impacts the seriousness of the injury'. It can be interpreted that though there are more factors which impacts the seriousness of injury but speed is having greater impact. Now swap the places of the two words 'speed....hits the tree impacts greatly the seriousness...' It means speed impacts many things out which seriousness of the injury is one. You see that changing the place shifted the focus of impact.

Hope it helps

Komal