when to take gmat

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

when to take gmat

by maddy12 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:42 am
hi all this is probably a dumb question but is it ok to take the test 10 days before the deadline? I need all the time for practice and i am also working on my SOPs side by side. most schools ask for 'sel reported' score i believe. how long does it take the GMAT center to send the scores to the respective schools. is 10 days a safe margin?
thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:17 am
maddy12 wrote:hi all this is probably a dumb question but is it ok to take the test 10 days before the deadline? I need all the time for practice and i am also working on my SOPs side by side. most schools ask for 'sel reported' score i believe. how long does it take the GMAT center to send the scores to the respective schools. is 10 days a safe margin?
thanks.
you will recieve a score report on the day of the test (quant, verbal, total scaled 200-800). The only difference between that and the official score report (which should appear ~10 days later) is the AWA score. I'm not sure what "self reported" means specifically for the schools you looked at, but it is possible that the same-day unofficial report will suffice.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:730

by itheenigma » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:32 am
maddy12 wrote:hi all this is probably a dumb question but is it ok to take the test 10 days before the deadline? I need all the time for practice and i am also working on my SOPs side by side. most schools ask for 'sel reported' score i believe. how long does it take the GMAT center to send the scores to the respective schools. is 10 days a safe margin?
thanks.
Yes, you should be ok, if the school has asked you to send the self reported score. For now.
But if I were you, I would shoot a quick mail to the admissions office with this specific query.
Their response would remove all doubt.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by maddy12 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:13 am
thanks both of you. yes i did email couple of the schools they said it ok if the official GMAT report comes a few days after the deadline (didnt specify what few days meant though!), so im assuming they can do without the AWA score for the time being...
the report will actually reach the scools abt a week after the deadline. it says it'll take arnd 20 days to generate the report.