What kind of score would I need?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What kind of score would I need?

by youngdanf » Sat May 23, 2009 12:33 pm
I am currently preparing for the GMAT and was wondering what kind of score I would need to be considered for a school like Harvard.
I'm 31 and have taken the long road to get through school. In fact, I graduate next spring with my Bachelor in Financial Services. I just started back up this last fall after a few years off. Since being back I've been taking 12-15 hours of school while working 40+ hours a week, and juggling home (wife and 4 kids). I have a 3.875 GPA since I've gone back, but my GPA will probably be about 3.4 when all is said and done (due to lower grades at the start of school).
My plan is to take the GMAT this fall, sit for the CFP exam next spring and enter grad school fall of '10.
I've been working for a brokerage firm for the last 3 1/2 years and currently work in the fixed income group dealing with retail investors.
Basically, I'm just wondering if I have any kind of shot with one of the big schools, and if I do, what kind of score I would need to get.
Plan B is to go to a university locally and get my master's in Finance and obtain my CFA, so the world won't end if I don't make it to Harvard :D
Any input would be appreciated!
Dan

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat May 23, 2009 5:10 pm
Dan - to be honest, there is no one score that will get you in to HBS. As you probably know, the GMAT score is only one part of your candidacy. School will weight that along with your GPA, work expereince, essays, LORs, etc. I would say the GMAT only has 20-25% of your decision, if that...

That said, you obviously want to score as high as possible. And based on your expected GPA, I believe you want to at least break 700.

Hope that helps,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by youngdanf » Mon May 25, 2009 5:58 am
That does help.
Thank you for your help.
Dan