What GMAT should I aim for? Baruch MBA

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What GMAT should I aim for? Baruch MBA

by ssingh123 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:43 am
Hey guys,

So I'm studying for the GMAT, and I was wondering what GMAT I should aim for because my GPA isn't very good. I have about 6-8 weeks till test date and am looking to apply to the CUNY Baruch Zicklin Accelerated Part Time MBA Program (or regular part time, not sure if one is more competitive that the other).

My GPA is low at a 2.85, but I have 5 years of work experience through college till now. I work with JPMorgan, so I was hoping that would help me out a lot.

Also, considering my time frame, any particular books anyone would recommend?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by westsidah408 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:59 pm
Hi ssingh123,

From Zicklin's website the average stats for the class of 2012 are:

Part-Time MBA (Accelerated Format)

GMAT Average 590 (GMAT 80% Range 510-660)
GPA Average 3.3
Years Work Exp 5.4

Part-Time MBA (Flexible Format)

GMAT Average 590 (GMAT 80% Range 510-690)
GPA Average 3.2
Years Work Exp 4.8

Just by looking at the stats, you will need as close to 700 (more is always better if possible) to really offset your low GPA. You work experience is around the average so you're fine there.

That said, definitely keep in mind that your GMAT/GPA is merely one component of your application.

Good luck! :)
ssingh123 wrote:Hey guys,

So I'm studying for the GMAT, and I was wondering what GMAT I should aim for because my GPA isn't very good. I have about 6-8 weeks till test date and am looking to apply to the CUNY Baruch Zicklin Accelerated Part Time MBA Program (or regular part time, not sure if one is more competitive that the other).

My GPA is low at a 2.85, but I have 5 years of work experience through college till now. I work with JPMorgan, so I was hoping that would help me out a lot.

Also, considering my time frame, any particular books anyone would recommend?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Apply Point » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am
The good news is, like all other part-time programs, admissions to both of Baruch's part-time programs is less competitive than their full-time program. Their part-time GMAT average is a 590 with the middle 80 percent range falling between 510 and 660. But, because you have a lower GPA than average (their GPA average is a 3.3), I would shoot for the higher end of that range..a 650 or so.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck
Mary Pat Jacobs
Director, Apply Point Admissions Consulting
www.applypoint.net