What does range... inclusive mean ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What does range... inclusive mean ?

by nobazinga » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 am
In given problem, I am a bit confused. What does it mean by "The range of the set of integers from x to y inclusive " ? Is it = the normal range - 1?
I assumed x and y to be 1 and 32. Solving further, the statement 2 contradicted statement 1 and I felt I had made wrong assumptions of values. Please explain.

If x and y are positive integers, and y > x, what is the median of the set of consecutive integers from x to y?

(1) The range of the set of integers from x to y inclusive is 31.

(2) The mean of the set of integers from x to y inclusive is 16.

a- Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
b- Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
c- Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
d- EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question.
e- Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

Answer is B

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:44 pm
inclusive means both are number are included

-----0-----a------b----- range a and b inclusive means a and b are included.
i.e. range = b-a+1
e.g. range of 3 and 5 inclusive = 5-3+1=3 (can be seen otherwise as 3,4,5)

anyways this does not effect this question at all.
1) is insufficient because we don't show a or b
2) is sufficient because for any constant difference series mean=median. you can prove it by taking series as n, n+1... but you don't have to.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)