What do you think of NYU Stern?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

What do you think of NYU Stern?

by N:Dure » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:53 am
I'm currently considering applying to NYU Stern, but I want to consider what people think of this program and what it is best known for.
How would you compare it relative to Columbia and INSEAD for example?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:18 am
Here's a good comparison on the P&Q:

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/16/ne ... ss-school/

In the new BW rankings, Stern dropped to 18th this year.

by N:Dure » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 am
Thanks for the heads up! I just looked at the BW rankings now, and wow HEC Paris is 2nd tier?? Man they're competing with INSEAD head to head. This program is booming this year. I hear alot of McKinsey people are applying there.

Anyway, about NYU Stern, I think they have a solid program and there's alot of extracurriculars, global programs and consulting competitions to keep you entertained through the 2 years. They're ranked 11th I think on the FT. But it seems Columbia is way better than it.
Bear in mind also that BW ranks based on student satisfaction, recuiters "opinions" ...etc which are all qualitative. FT ranks based on salaries post-MBA which are actual figures that can be measured.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:03 am
Well, every ranking out there is pretty subjective - I think some rankings try to make too much science out of something that is more art. Kinda like college football.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:03 am
IMO Stern cannot ever be compared to Insead... Insead is a much better school.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

by gkumar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:01 pm
money9111 wrote:IMO Stern cannot ever be compared to Insead... Insead is a much better school.
That's an unjustified statement and very subjective. If you want to work on wall street Stem is better. If you want more international experience, insead is better

Followed by:4 members

by anirudhbhalotia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:06 am
I have a stupid question to ask. What all do we cover in the research apart from making note of GMAT Scores, Fees, % of Intl. Students, etc.

Like how do we choose what program is good for us...do we need to compare each MBA structure with each other..or is there any other methodology which I am totally missing?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mica Bevington » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:36 am
N:Dure wrote:I'm currently considering applying to NYU Stern, but I want to consider what people think of this program and what it is best known for.
I see that "sorter" has sent you a link to Poets and Quants' NYU vs. Stern article. But I also want to ensure that you've seen our most recent, updated rankings, which places INSEAD at No. 2 outside the u.s., and Columbia and NYU (Stern) at 5th and 12th, respectively.

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/po ... e-the-u-s/

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/po ... the-u-s/3/

Where do you want to work after your MBA? Which city (cities in INSEAD's case) would be more interesting for you to learn and live in?

Best of luck!

Regards,
Mica Bevington
Community Editor
Poets and Quants

by gkumar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 am
Thanks for the comprehensive links. Do you have a ranking that combines both US and outside of US schools?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mica Bevington » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:55 pm
gkumar wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive links. Do you have a ranking that combines both US and outside of US schools?
I'm glad you found the listings helpful!

As for one combined listing, we don't have one yet. Our listing combines the ratings from Bloomberg BusinessWeek, The Economist, The Financial Times, Forbes, and U.S. News & World Report. Of these, the FT and Economist are the only two to rank the schools inside and oustide the US in one, neat ranking. That being the case, we currently have separate listings for US and non-US programs.

All the best, Mica

Followed by:4 members

by anirudhbhalotia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:19 pm
Mica Bevington wrote:
N:Dure wrote:I'm currently considering applying to NYU Stern, but I want to consider what people think of this program and what it is best known for.
I see that "sorter" has sent you a link to Poets and Quants' NYU vs. Stern article. But I also want to ensure that you've seen our most recent, updated rankings, which places INSEAD at No. 2 outside the u.s., and Columbia and NYU (Stern) at 5th and 12th, respectively.

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/po ... e-the-u-s/

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/po ... the-u-s/3/

Where do you want to work after your MBA? Which city (cities in INSEAD's case) would be more interesting for you to learn and live in?

Best of luck!

Regards,
Mica Bevington
Community Editor
Poets and Quants

Nice all rankings at the same place.

But how do you Rank them in the end? Do you have some kind of calculation method to take all the rankings from different sources and then have a final rank keeping different ranks in mind?

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 pm
gkumar wrote:
money9111 wrote:IMO Stern cannot ever be compared to Insead... Insead is a much better school.
That's an unjustified statement and very subjective. If you want to work on wall street Stem is better. If you want more international experience, insead is better
That's why I said IMO (in my opinion)...does not need to be justified because it is subjective! ;-)

by gkumar » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 pm
money9111 wrote:
gkumar wrote:
That's why I said IMO (in my opinion)...does not need to be justified because it is subjective! ;-)
lol fair enough. but i'm still curious on your imo statement. any imo without any justification is like wth to me. :P

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:41 am
gkumar wrote:
money9111 wrote:
gkumar wrote:
lol fair enough. but i'm still curious on your imo statement. any imo without any justification is like wth to me. :P
Well I have no interest in finance so that's never something I take into consideration.