What Do You Think of My Business School Application Plan?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
My general profile is below.

I would like to know your thoughts on the schools in my current plan for applying to schools for 2014.

What shot do I have at CBS (my reach)? Do these schools help with my goal of returning to PE? Any I should add/remove? Anything that would make me more/less competitive at any particular school?

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks.

Early:
CBS

1st Rd:
Kellogg
Booth

2nd Rd:
Stern
MIT
Tuck
Darden

GMAT / GPA
-700 GMAT (V: 96%, Q: 61%)
-3.2 Overall GPA / 3.5 Upper Class GPA
-(Received a 2.7 GPA freshman year due to my involvement in Navy ROTC, worked 20 hrs/wk to pay)
-Undergraduate degrees in Finance and History from Top 30 Private College (2004-2008)

Work Experience
1) 3 Years $500M Financial Services Focused Private Equity Fund, Senior Associate (2011-2014)
-Promoted to Senior Associate
-Evaluate investment opportunities in the insurance, financial services, and healthcare services sectors
-Sourced 2 of 4 investments in current fund
-Diligenced an additional investment and have managed portfolio company from close
-Originate proprietary investment opportunities by calling and meeting with executives and intermediaries; top-performing Associate (5 in total) having generated 67 opportunities, 43 management meetings, and 2 term sheets
-Perform analysis and transaction execution activities, including financial modeling/valuation, meeting with management, financial/legal diligence, legal agreement negotiation, industry research, and delivery of recommendations

2) 2.5 Years Investment Banking, Senior Analyst (2008-2011)
-Promoted to Senior Analyst
-Promoted to Full Time Position after Summer Internship
-Analyzed potential merger and acquisitions as well as capital financing options for publicly-traded electric utility companies
-Core member of the undergraduate alma mater investment banking recruiting team

Extracurricular involvement
-Boy Scouts of America (1994-2014)
-Eagle Scout
-Worked with Council CEO to develop Eagle Scout Alumni outreach program to identify potential volunteers and donors
-Tracked recruiting and advancement performance of two Troops in the NY

Business School Goals
-To further pursue my private equity career, solidify my financial analysis skills (accounting and economics), bolster my professional network, and travel abroad

Demographic
27-year-old white male from Boston

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:01 am

Hey there Andre,

Thanks for all the info! Let's get into it, shall we?

Ok, let's talk your overall profile first, then I'll address your schools.

Academics: Your GMAT is in the 700 club so that's nice. It isn't exactly a differentiator (in that it isn't > 720) but it's respectable and solid. One note though - it is blatantly obvious verbal carried you. Your overall GPA (which is the GPA schools report for rankings) is on the lower side but it's in play and within the range, albeit on the low end of that range. Overall, however, I'm not concerned with your academics. From a reporting standpoint, your GMAT works well and your GPA isn't great but it balances out effectively. The other concern would be with your GPA and Quant GMAT score, the question could be raised if you have what it takes to cut it in an MBA program that is quantitative. However, your work experience quickly puts that concern to rest - you clearly understand analyses (and complex ones at that). Overall, not a differentiator but not something against you either.

Prof. Experiences: I'm not going to spend too much time on this section. Suffice it to say you've got this covered. There's enough good stuff here to work with and hit all the key themes. Short and sweet.

Extracurriculars: This is an interesting one. On the surface, it isn't exactly a long litany of involvements. However, that's almost good in this case! You are clearly invested in this organization and you can't put a price on that. I really like this actually. I think it would be worthwhile to augment this section with at least lip service to a list of hobbies (to add personality) but I think you can speak enough to this involvement that any adcom will understand even though it's only one activity on paper, that it goes deep and sits close to your hear.

Outside of this, you didn't mention much about what you did in college but at least you have ROTC and I'm sure you have a few other things. It'll cover that base as well.

Ok - now onto what you really wanted to talk about, schools!

CBS: Yes, hit this one early if you really want to go there. Keep in mind, it's binding. I think with your profile, Columbia straddles the line between stretch and aligned for you. The main reason I say that are your academic stats. Unfortunately, they do matter a little bit and that's my only real concern. If you're not entirely set on Columbia, then just apply sooner rather than later given they have rolling admissions.

Early / 1st: CBS, Booth, Tuck - I moved Kellogg out and put Tuck in because of their relative strengths and focuses. If you want to continue in PE, even though Tuck is of a slightly lower rank, it's a stronger program.

2nd: Stern, Darden, MIT. I think Stern and Darden may be better suited for you personally. MIT is an amazing program but there is a chance there you get too sucked into the quant side. Stern and Darden both are great quant programs too but they will ensure a strong exposure to general management as well.

Hmm - I wrote a lot but I hope this answers most of your questions! Now - your turn. Any other questions? Comments? Concerns?

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 pm
Can I ask - Why not throw HBS/Wharton into the mix? too big?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by InterviewBay2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 pm
Your GMAT score is decent, but I think that will do in your case. Though you GPA is on the lower side, but other factors about your application would save you. The explanation for the freshman year GPA seems to be valid, and B-schools may buy that. One thing that worries me is your low score in Quant. Certainly, B-schools look at that, but an exception could be made in your case considering your rich work experience.

Clearly, there seems to be a focus in your career. Your post MBA goal is aligned with the pre-MBA work experience. Your extraordinary work experience is the key strength of your application. But, you would need to write excellent application essays explaining the quality of your work experience. You should showcase qualities like leadership, result orientation and team skills in your application essays.

I must say that you have done a careful selection of the MBA programs. You may add Cornell to your list.

Best of luck!
www.InterviewBay.com