Well that did not go according to plan

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Well that did not go according to plan

by GaStateMTAX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:53 am
Well I got a 470. Not good. It is however what I expected.

I started studying 7 months ago off and on. I really started concentrating in the last month and a half.

I got an 18 Quant 52 Verbal. I was pretty surprised I did as well as I did on the verbal.

I really do not do well with the math on these exams and I never have done well. I could not get into my first college of choice because of low SAT scores, so I had to go to a junior college first and transfer in. These tests are just not in my cards. I have always had a problem with more difficult, mind numbing math. Yes mind numbing to me, maybe not to some of you. This is why I am a accounting major. Only 4 simple functions to calculate and application of those to strict rules. Easy.

I am out of money, and out of time. Unfortunately for me it looks like I will have to find another way to get my required CPA hours. I would have really liked to have had the opportunity to study a master of taxation program, but because of the irrelevant material on the GMAT I will not be able to do so. So I say to you...

Thank you GMAT, you alone have derailed my 3.5 GPA and relevant years of hard work, dedication, and list of honors from grad-school.

by yes you can » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 am
Dear friend,

First of all Congratulations on your fantastic Score in Verbal. 51 in Verbal is indeed very rare.My suggestion is do not give up Hope and Practice. Or I should say just Practice....You will surprise yourself with the improvement.

Official guide 10,11,12 and GMAT Prep are more than suffcient for Quant...

All the Best,

YYC

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by yogami » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 am
Dude if you can get me a V score like that I will personally coach you in Q :)
Your Q can just go up from where it is. Q can be easily developed compared to V so you will be in a good shape next time for it
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

by GaStateMTAX » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 am
Thanks guys I appreciate the props on verbal. It is actually one thing I am good at even though the tax code isn't always as easy to break down.

It's all good. No need to retake. My admissions counselor told me I would be fine with the GPA and involvement in the program. Lucky for me the taxation program realizes the irrelevance of the GMAT in comparison to the tax code.