Weaken Question- Expert help needed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Weaken Question- Expert help needed

by bharti.2010 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am
Although the organic farms in the agricultural community of Greendale are destined to shut down within the next decade as a result of competition from the organic mega-farm Full Foods, the farmland will not go unused for long. In the decade since the opening of OmniFoods, Inc., a non-organic farm conglomerate, a new owner has bought and reopened every farm in Greendale that has shut down due to competition with OmniFoods, Inc.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

1. Many customers of OmniFoods, Inc. are expected to buy less nonorganic food than they did before the Full Foods farm opened in Greendale.
2. The new farms that have opened in the agricultural community of Greendale since OmniFoods, Inc. opened have been primarily organic farms.
3 Many farms in Greendale sell produce that is not available to buy from either OmniFoods, Inc. or from Full Foods.
4. The demand for organic food is expected to increase at a faster rate over the next decade than at any time over the past fifty years.
5. The agricultural community of Greendale currently has more different farms operating within its borders than it ever has before

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by MakeUrTimeCount » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 pm
1) Organic farms have competition from organic mega-farm Full Foods
2) OmniFoods, Inc. (Non-organic farm conglomerate) has purchased all closed farms and repoened them.
3) The closed farms closed because of competition with OmniFoods, Inc. (which is non-organic)

So OmniFoods will purchase and reopen non-organic farms only.

Weakens Ques: We need to find out a choice which implies that OmniFoods won't purchase farms.

1. Many customers of OmniFoods, Inc. are expected to buy less nonorganic food than they did before the Full Foods farm opened in Greendale.
It says about nonorganic food. Out of scope

2. The new farms that have opened in the agricultural community of Greendale since OmniFoods, Inc. opened have been primarily organic farms.
Weakeans: If farms are organic. So of no use to OmniFoods.

3 Many farms in Greendale sell produce that is not available to buy from either OmniFoods, Inc. or from Full Foods.
But still some are available to buy.

4. The demand for organic food is expected to increase at a faster rate over the next decade than at any time over the past fifty years.
It does not say anything about closing or purchasing.

5. The agricultural community of Greendale currently has more different farms operating within its borders than it ever has before
Out of scope

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 pm
MakeUrTimeCount wrote:2) OmniFoods, Inc. (Non-organic farm conglomerate) has purchased all closed farms and repoened them.
3) The closed farms closed because of competition with OmniFoods, Inc. (which is non-organic)

So OmniFoods will purchase and reopen non-organic farms only.
~ 2) OmniFoods HAS NOT purchased ALL closed farms and reopened them. OmniFoods purchased only farmlands closed as the result of its competition. Other farmlands could be closed not by OmniFoods, hence not ALL farmlands will be reopened by it.
bharti.2010 wrote:In the decade since the opening of OmniFoods, Inc., a non-organic farm conglomerate, a new owner has bought and reopened every farm in Greendale that has shut down due to competition with OmniFoods, Inc.
other farmlands would be closed from the competition with Full Foods, hence NOT *ALL* farmlands are closed due to the competition with OmniFoods.
bharti.2010 wrote:Although the organic farms in the agricultural community of Greendale are destined to shut down within the next decade as a result of competition from the organic mega-farm Full Foods, the farmland will not go unused for long.
Where in the argument it is stated that *OmniFoods will purchase and reopen non-organic farms only* as you put in your analysis?

To attempt predicting answer choices for this CR, the given argument's situation has to be analyzed firstly, i.e. the set of premises, conclusion and gaps. Care to explain?
Success doesn't come overnight!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:43 pm
Conclusion: Farmland will not go unused when small farms shut down.

Evidence: Omnifoods precedent

Assumption: What is true for non-organic Omni is true for organic Full Foods.

Question: What WEAKENS?

Prediction: If there is a difference between Full Foods & Omni's practices

A - customers are irrelevant
B - shows a difference
C - farmland could still be used regardless of what is sold
D - demand is irrelevant
E - change in diff types of farms over time is irrelevant
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 am
VivianKerr wrote:Conclusion: Farmland will not go unused when small farms shut down.

Evidence: Omnifoods precedent

Assumption: What is true for non-organic Omni is true for organic Full Foods.

Question: What WEAKENS?

Prediction: If there is a difference between Full Foods & Omni's practices

A - customers are irrelevant
B - shows a difference
C - farmland could still be used regardless of what is sold
D - demand is irrelevant
E - change in diff types of farms over time is irrelevant
Thank you Kerr,

I do exactly as you did. I can go to the step of "prediction" which is like your prediction. And I think I am ok. But when go to the answer choices to find the difference, I can not realize B. How can I improve the situation?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bharti.2010 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 am
Thanks everybody. I realised my mistake now.