BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If m, p, s and v are positive,

Expert replies
by NandishSS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 pm
If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the following must be between m/p and s/v

I. m+s/p+v
II. ms/pv
III. s/v−m/p

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both

OA:B

Source:GMATPrep EP1

Hi Experts,

Could you pls explain both the method algebraic and plugging

Thanks
Nandish
Last edited by NandishSS on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:26 pm
Please correct the typos in the problem so that it reads as follows:
If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p < s/v, which of the following must be between m/p and s/v?

I. (m+s)/(p+v)
II. ms/pv
III. s/v - m/p

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both
Case 1: m=1, p=2, s=1 and v=1
In this case, m/p = 1/2 and s/v = 1/1 = 1.
Eliminate any statement that does not yield a value between 1/2 and 1.

I: (m+s)/(p+v) = (1+1)/(2+1) = 2/3.
Since 2/3 is between 1/2 and 1, hold onto I.

II: ms/pv = (1*1)/(2*1) = 1/2.
Since 1/2 is NOT between 1/2 and 1, eliminate any answer choice that includes II.
Eliminate C and E.

III: s/v - m/p = 1/1 - 1/2 = 1/2.
Since 1/2 is NOT between 1/2 and 1, eliminate any remaining answer choice that includes III.
Eliminate D.

Test an EXTREME case.
Case 2: m=10, p=1, s=100, and t=4.
In this case, m/p = 10/1 = 10 and s/t = 100/4 = 25.

I: (m+s)/(p+v) = (10+100)/(1+4) = 22.
Since 22 is between 10 and 25, statement I holds true.

Since statement 1 holds true when the distance between the values is small (m/p = 1/2 and s/v = 1) and when the distance between them is great (m/p = 10 and s/v = 25), we should be satisfied:
Statement I must yield a value between m/p and s/v.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by NandishSS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:42 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:Please correct the typos in the problem so that it reads as follows:
If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p < s/v, which of the following must be between m/p and s/v?

I. (m+s)/(p+v)
II. ms/pv
III. s/v - m/p

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both
Case 1: m=1, p=2, s=1 and v=1
In this case, m/p = 1/2 and s/v = 1/1 = 1.
Eliminate any statement that does not yield a value between 1/2 and 1.

I: (m+s)/(p+v) = (1+1)/(2+1) = 2/3.
Since 2/3 is between 1/2 and 1, hold onto I.

II: ms/pv = (1*1)/(2*1) = 1/2.
Since 1/2 is NOT between 1/2 and 1, eliminate any answer choice that includes II.
Eliminate C and E.

III: s/v - m/p = 1/1 - 1/2 = 1/2.
Since 1/2 is NOT between 1/2 and 1, eliminate any remaining answer choice that includes III.
Eliminate D.

Test an EXTREME case.
Case 2: m=10, p=1, s=100, and t=4.
In this case, m/p = 10/1 = 10 and s/t = 100/4 = 25.

I: (m+s)/(p+v) = (10+100)/(1+4) = 22.
Since 22 is between 10 and 25, statement I holds true.

Since statement 1 holds true when the distance between the values is small (m/p = 1/2 and s/v = 1) and when the distance between them is great (m/p = 10 and s/v = 25), we should be satisfied:
Statement I must yield a value between m/p and s/v.

The correct answer is B.
Corrected :-)

But if you take m=1, p=2, s=3 and v=4 then,I agree still the ans is B.

Will it be ok, if we use plugging in must be true question.

Any alternate method.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:43 pm
For all positive numbers a, b, c, and d:
If a/b < c/d, then a/c < b/d.
If a/b > c/d, then a/c > b/d.
If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p < s/v, which of the following must be between m/p and s/v?

I. (m+s)/(p+v)
Algebraic proof for Statement 1:

Given info:
m/p < s/v

Applying the red rule, we get:
m/s < p/v
m/s + s/s < p/v + v/v
(m+s)/s < (p+v)/v.

Applying the red rule again, we get:
(m+s)/(p+v) < s/v.

Given info, rephrased:
s/v > m/p

Applying the blue rule, we get:
s/m > v/p
s/m + m/m > v/p + p/p
(m+s)/m > (p+v)/p.

Applying the blue rule again, we get:
(m+s)/(p+v) > m/p.

Since m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) and (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v, (m+s)/(p+v) is between m/p and s/v.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:21 am
NandishSS wrote:If m, p, s and v are positive, and m/p<s/v, which of the following must be between m/p and s/v

I. m+s/p+v
II. ms/pv
III. s/v−m/p

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. III only
E. I and II both
Let's analyze each statement using specific values for the variables.

We can let m = 2, s = 3, p = 4, and v = 5. Thus:

m/p = 2/4 = 0.5 and s/v = 3/5 = 0.6.

Notice that m/p = 0.5 is less than s/v = 0.6. Now let's analyze each statement.

I. (m+s)/(p+v)

(2 + 3)/(4 + 5) = 5/9 = 0.555... is between m/p = 0.5 and s/v = 0.6.

II. (ms)/(pv)

(2 x 3)/(4 x 5) = 6/20 = 0.3 is NOT between 0.5 and 0.6.

III. s/v - m/p

3/5 - 2/4 = 0.6 - 0.5 = 0.1 is NOT between 0.5 and 0.6.

From the above, we see that only statement I is true. However, this was illustrated by using one set of numbers (m = 2, s = 3, p = 4, and v = 5). It's possible that it could be false when we use another set of values for m, s, p, and m.

However, we can prove that (m+s)/(p+v) is between m/p and s/v; that is, we can prove that m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v regardless of the values we use for m, s, p, and m, as long as the values are positive.

Notice that m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v means m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) and (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v. Also, keep in mind that we are given that m/p < s/v, which is equivalent to mv < ps.

Let's prove that m/p < (m+s)/(p+v):

m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) ?

m(p+v) < p(m + s) ?

mp + mv < mp + ps?

mv < ps ? (YES)

Since mv < ps is true, m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) is true. Finally, let's prove that (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v:

(m+s)/(p+v) < s/v ?

v(m+s) < s(p+v)?

mv + sv < sp + sv ?

mv < ps ? (YES)

Again, since mv < ps is true, (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v is true. Thus we have shown that m/p < (m+s)/(p+v) < s/v is always true.

Answer: B

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews
Join the discussion