BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Diagnostic Test Q6 - Overlapping Sets

Expert replies
by Bullzi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:52 am
Hello,

So, I have an issue with arriving at an answer the OG gives for a Diagnostic Test question using a method I am comfortable with. While I could understand OG's answer steps, I couldn't make out why my approach wouldn't work. It would be helpful if you could help with pointers

The question is No. 6 on overlapping sets,


A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

(A) 15
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 45

And, below is the approach I used,

1. I was comfortable using a table structure rather than a Venn diagram, so, I draw a 3X3 table
2. Based on the data in the question, I fill numbers and for the unknowns, I assign and use a variable (as in the image)
3. Based on the table, i arrive at an equation thus, 60-x + 80 = 200 - 3x solving which I arrive at 30 as the value for x. However, the correct result as per OG is 15

What am I missing..?! I appreciate all help!

Thanks,
Bullzi
Attachments
Diag_OS.jpg
Diagnostic Q6 - 3X3 table
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:41 am
A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

A: 15
B: 20
C: 30
D: 40
E: 45
Here, we have a population of 200 households , and the two characteristics are:
- using or not using Brand A soap
- using or not using Brand B soap

So, we can set up our matrix as follows (where "~" represents "not"):
Image

80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap
We can add this to our diagram as follows:
Image

60 used only Brand A soap
We get...
Image

At this point, we can see that the right-hand column adds to 140, which means 140 households do NOT use brand B soap.
Image

Since there are 200 households altogether, we can conclude that 60 households DO use brand B soap.
Image

For every household that used BOTH brands of soap...
Let's let x = # of households that use BOTH brands....
Image

...3 used only Brand B soap.
So, 3x = # of households that use ONLY brand B soap
Image

At this point, when we examine the left-hand column, we can see that x + 3x = 60
Simplify to get 4x = 60
Solve to get x = 15

How many of the 200 households surveyed used BOTH brands of soap?
Since x = # of households that use BOTH brands of soap, the correct answer here is A

------------------------------------
Overlapping sets questions are VERY COMMON on the GMAT, so be sure to master the technique.

To learn more about the Double Matrix Method, watch our free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ems?id=919

Once you're familiar with this technique, you can attempt these additional practice questions:

Easy Problem Solving questions
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-aam-aadm ... 72242.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/finance-majo ... 67425.html

Medium Problem Solving questions
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/probability- ... 73360.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/posted-speed ... 72374.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/motel-t271938.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/of-the-appli ... 70255.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/opening-nigh ... 64869.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/at-least-100 ... 74669.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/prblem-solving-t279424.html

Difficult Problem Solving questions
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/ratio-problem-t268339.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/overlapping- ... 65223.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/fractions-t264254.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/overlapping- ... 64092.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... question-2

Easy Data Sufficiency questions
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/for-what-per ... 70596.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/ds-quest-t187706.html

Medium Data Sufficiency questions
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/sets-matrix-ds-t271914.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/each-of-peop ... 71375.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-manufacturer-t270331.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/in-costume-f ... 69355.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... question-1

Difficult Data Sufficiency questions
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/double-set-m ... 71423.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/sets-t269449.html
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/05/ ... question-3

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:44 am
Bullzi wrote:Hello,

So, I have an issue with arriving at an answer the OG gives for a Diagnostic Test question using a method I am comfortable with. While I could understand OG's answer steps, I couldn't make out why my approach wouldn't work. It would be helpful if you could help with pointers

The question is No. 6 on overlapping sets,


A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

(A) 15
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 45

And, below is the approach I used,

1. I was comfortable using a table structure rather than a Venn diagram, so, I draw a 3X3 table
2. Based on the data in the question, I fill numbers and for the unknowns, I assign and use a variable (as in the image)
3. Based on the table, i arrive at an equation thus, 60-x + 80 = 200 - 3x solving which I arrive at 30 as the value for x. However, the correct result as per OG is 15

What am I missing..?! I appreciate all help!

Thanks,
Bullzi
The question says that 60 used only Brand A soap
This means 60 used A but did NOT use B.

You placed 60-x in the box that should have a 60 in it.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Bullzi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:24 am
Thanks Brent for your response

I went back to my notes and material to double-check the strategy

Looks like I may have interpreted the question incorrectly. I interpreted the text as saying that the total number of households using Soap A (including the ones that might use Soap B) was 60. Translating this understanding into an equation, I used x for the intersection (households using either of the brands) and 60-x for the households that used only A

Now, I am just curious, had the problem framed the text thus
'of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used (without using the word ONLY from the original text) Brand A soap', I am assuming my original approach would've worked just alright as this count would've included both the intersection of A and B and A's own individual count too. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!
Bullzi
Join the discussion

by gmatbeater1989 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 pm
Bullzi wrote:

A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

(A) 15
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 45



What's wrong with my answer?

Total = group A + group B - both + neither
200 = 60 + 3 - x + 80
200 = 143 - x
x = -57
I know it's wrong, but I don't see why.
Join the discussion

by theCEO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:10 pm
gmatbeater1989 wrote:
Bullzi wrote:

A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

(A) 15
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 45



What's wrong with my answer?

Total = group A + group B - both + neither
200 = 60 + 3 - x + 80
200 = 143 - x
x = -57
I know it's wrong, but I don't see why.


Total = group A + group B - both + neither
200 = (group A only + both group a and b) + (group b only + both group a and b) - both group a and b + neither
200 = (60 + x) + (3x + x) - x + 80
200 = 140 + 4x
x = 15
Join the discussion

by gmatbeater1989 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:45 pm
theCEO wrote:
gmatbeater1989 wrote:
Bullzi wrote:

A marketing firm determined that, of 200 households surveyed, 80 used neither Brand A nor Brand B soap, 60 used only Brand A soap, and for every household that used both brands of soap, 3 used only Brand B soap. How many of the 200 households surveyed used both brands of soap?

(A) 15
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 45



What's wrong with my answer?

Total = group A + group B - both + neither
200 = 60 + 3 - x + 80
200 = 143 - x
x = -57
I know it's wrong, but I don't see why.


Total = group A + group B - both + neither
200 = (group A only + both group a and b) + (group b only + both group a and b) - both group a and b + neither
200 = (60 + x) + (3x + x) - x + 80
200 = 140 + 4x
x = 15

Aha!
I didn't realize I also missed the part that says "for every household that used both brands of soap,"
THANKS!
Join the discussion