BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If zt < -3, is z < 4 ? (1) z < 9 (2) t < -4

Expert replies
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by prachich1987 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:26 am
I think the answer should be "E"
Join the discussion

by goyalsau » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 am
anticipation wrote:If zt < -3, is z < 4 ?

(1) z < 9
(2) t < -4
zt < -3 { we judge that one has to be negative and other one has to be positive}

is z < 4 ( we rewrite this as is 0 < z < 4 { is z positive } or 0 > z { or z negative } )

(1) z < 9

It can be any value either positive or negative

insufficient

( 2 ) t < -4

t is negative , so z has to be positive

But still it can be greater or less than 4

so should plug in some values.

t = -5 , z = 6 tz = -30

t = -6 , z = 1 tz = -6

in both the tz is less than -3 and the value of z can be less than or greater than 4

so insufficient

Even by considering both the statements, condition is still the same,

so my answer is E,
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------


EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.
Join the discussion

by mensanumber » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:26 pm
Hi Ron, Mitch, Brent and other experts:

When you guys do this(number picking) it seems so easy! However, number picking is my Achilles' Heel. It is just so frustratingly difficult for me to come up with right numbers.

When I micro-analyze my thinking process while I try to come up with right values to show counter examples this is what I see: I first need to ensure z <9 and then make sure that t < -4 and then ensure that zt< -3 with the aim of getting a NO for z<4. Even though I am using 'then' after every decision, the fact is- to generate right values, you essentially need to make these 4 decisions simultaneously. I simply dont know how I can do this in 20-30 seconds without befuddling my short term memory apparatus. I am saying 20-30 secs cuz in most of the hard questions you will have to rule out st-A, st-B and A+B as it comes down to E/C. thus you will make 5-6 such decisions for every question.

When I solve such questions I am either totally flustered or take more than 4 mins. Are there efficient ways to do this and which will work for most of the hard problems (inequality, modulus, reciprocal, neg/pos and their combination) etc..in less than 2-3 mins?
Thanks!
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:19 am
mensanumber wrote:Hi Ron, Mitch, Brent and other experts:

When you guys do this(number picking) it seems so easy! However, number picking is my Achilles' Heel. It is just so frustratingly difficult for me to come up with right numbers.

When I micro-analyze my thinking process while I try to come up with right values to show counter examples this is what I see: I first need to ensure z <9 and then make sure that t < -4 and then ensure that zt< -3 with the aim of getting a NO for z<4. Even though I am using 'then' after every decision, the fact is- to generate right values, you essentially need to make these 4 decisions simultaneously. I simply dont know how I can do this in 20-30 seconds without befuddling my short term memory apparatus. I am saying 20-30 secs cuz in most of the hard questions you will have to rule out st-A, st-B and A+B as it comes down to E/C. thus you will make 5-6 such decisions for every question.

When I solve such questions I am either totally flustered or take more than 4 mins. Are there efficient ways to do this and which will work for most of the hard problems (inequality, modulus, reciprocal, neg/pos and their combination) etc..in less than 2-3 mins?
Thanks!
When given a threshold, test EXTREMES: one value close to the threshold, one value far from the threshold.
If zt < -3, is z < 4 ?

(1) z < 9
(2) t < -4
In statement 1, the threshold for z is 9.

Case 1: z=8
Since zt < -3, we get:
8t < -3
t < -3/8.
Thus, it's possible that z=8 and t=-5.
In this case, both statements are satisfied and z>4.

Case 2: z=1
Since zt < -3, we get:
(1)(t) < -3
t < -3.
Thus, it's possible that z=1 and t=-5.
In this case, both statements are satisfied and z<4.

Thus, the two statements combined are INSUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion