BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

a basic combination -- help needed

Expert replies
by smanstar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:59 am
Q
In how many ways can 5 letters be posted in 4 mail boxes , any letter can be posted in any mail box ??

How i tried to solve

5 letters each letter has 4 choices so 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5 ways

but I get confused, when I tried to solve the same in this way

4 mail boxes each can accept 5 letters so 5*5*5*5 = 5^4 ways.

please help me out with the basic difference between the two approaches and secondly how to solve the same ??
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:41 am
smanstar wrote:Q
In how many ways can 5 letters be posted in 4 mail boxes , any letter can be posted in any mail box ??

How i tried to solve

5 letters each letter has 4 choices so 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5 ways

but I get confused, when I tried to solve the same in this way

4 mail boxes each can accept 5 letters so 5*5*5*5 = 5^4 ways.

please help me out with the basic difference between the two approaches and secondly how to solve the same ??
There are fewer mailboxes than letters.
The result: while not every mailbox must contain a letter, EVERY LETTER MUST CHOOSE A MAILBOX.
Thus, we count from the perspective of the LETTERS.
For each of the five letters, there are 4 choices of mailbox:
4*4*4*4*4 = 4�.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by smanstar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
smanstar wrote:Q
In how many ways can 5 letters be posted in 4 mail boxes , any letter can be posted in any mail box ??

How i tried to solve

5 letters each letter has 4 choices so 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5 ways

but I get confused, when I tried to solve the same in this way

4 mail boxes each can accept 5 letters so 5*5*5*5 = 5^4 ways.

please help me out with the basic difference between the two approaches and secondly how to solve the same ??
There are fewer mailboxes than letters.
The result: while not every mailbox must contain a letter, EVERY LETTER MUST CHOOSE A MAILBOX.
Thus, we count from the perspective of the LETTERS.
For each of the five letters, there are 4 choices of mailbox:
4*4*4*4*4 = 4�.

thanks for the reply but I have a doubt again

If in a problem we have to distribute 10 coins to 3 children then it should be 3*3*3...*3 = 3^10 but I am not getting the answer .
Can you please also explain whats the difference between the two problems
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:53 am
smanstar wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
smanstar wrote:Q
In how many ways can 5 letters be posted in 4 mail boxes , any letter can be posted in any mail box ??

How i tried to solve

5 letters each letter has 4 choices so 4*4*4*4*4 = 4^5 ways

but I get confused, when I tried to solve the same in this way

4 mail boxes each can accept 5 letters so 5*5*5*5 = 5^4 ways.

please help me out with the basic difference between the two approaches and secondly how to solve the same ??
There are fewer mailboxes than letters.
The result: while not every mailbox must contain a letter, EVERY LETTER MUST CHOOSE A MAILBOX.
Thus, we count from the perspective of the LETTERS.
For each of the five letters, there are 4 choices of mailbox:
4*4*4*4*4 = 4�.

thanks for the reply but I have a doubt again

If in a problem we have to distribute 10 coins to 3 children then it should be 3*3*3...*3 = 3^10 but I am not getting the answer .
Can you please also explain whats the difference between the two problems
How many ways can 10 different coins be distributed among 3 children?

Here, the coins are all DIFFERENT.
Thus, it matters whether Coin A goes to child 1, child 2, or child 3.
In this case, the number of options for each coin = 3. (Any of the 3 children.)
To combine the number of options for each coin, we multiply:
3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3 = 3¹�.

How many ways can 10 identical coins be distributed among 3 children?

Here, the coins are all IDENTICAL.
Thus, it DOESN'T matter whether Coin A goes to child 1, child 2, or child 3.
All that matters is HOW MANY coins each child receives.
For this sort of problem, I recommend the SEPARATOR method.
Check here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/combinations-t120668.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion