BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Kaplan Problem

Expert replies
by aimscore » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:18 pm
List L: 3, 7, 24, 26, x

If x < 5, which of the following describes all the values of x such that the average (arithmetic mean) of list L is less than the median of list L ?
a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Ans: b

I chose the correct answer but later on changed it. The final equn boils down to [(60+x)/5 ] < 7. Hence from the equality I get that x < -25.
But if I substitute some value of x < - 45, say -55, I will still get [(60-55)/5] = 1 and 1 < 7.
Can some one pls explain why x <- 45 is wrong? Am I making any silly mistake here?

Thanks
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by beat_gmat_09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 pm
aimscore wrote:List L: 3, 7, 24, 26, x

If x < 5, which of the following describes all the values of x such that the average (arithmetic mean) of list L is less than the median of list L ?
a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Ans: b

I chose the correct answer but later on changed it. The final equn boils down to [(60+x)/5 ] < 7. Hence from the equality I get that x < -25.
But if I substitute some value of x < - 45, say -55, I will still get [(60-55)/5] = 1 and 1 < 7.
Can some one pls explain why x <- 45 is wrong? Am I making any silly mistake here?

Thanks
When x < -45, x is also < -25.
If x =-30 Av = 6 < 7 (x !<-45)
Don't you think you are missing this one when x <-45 ?
Hope is the dream of a man awake
Join the discussion

by KapTeacherEli » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm
aimscore wrote:List L: 3, 7, 24, 26, x

If x < 5, which of the following describes all the values of x such that the average (arithmetic mean) of list L is less than the median of list L ?
a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Ans: b

I chose the correct answer but later on changed it. The final equn boils down to [(60+x)/5 ] < 7. Hence from the equality I get that x < -25.
But if I substitute some value of x < - 45, say -55, I will still get [(60-55)/5] = 1 and 1 < 7.
Can some one pls explain why x <- 45 is wrong? Am I making any silly mistake here?

Thanks
Hi aimscore,

One of the most important steps in Kaplan's methods for solving Problem Solving questions is to make sure you state the task. In this case, here is what the questions wants:
"...which of the following describes all the values of x..."
In other words, this question asks us for the definition that includes 100% of the numbers that cause the mean to be less than the median.
Now, you were absolutely correct in your testing--if you pick a number less that -45, which is also less than -25, you get a valid solution. However, you can pick a number greater than -45 and also get a valid solution! Try it out with -30, for instance.
So all values less than -45 satisfy the conditions of this problem. But not all numbers that satisfy those conditions are less than -45. Thus, choice (A) is the right answer to the wrong question, and choice (B) is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage
Join the discussion

by goyalsau » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:42 pm
KapTeacherEli wrote:
aimscore wrote:List L: 3, 7, 24, 26, x

If x < 5, which of the following describes all the values of x such that the average (arithmetic mean) of list L is less than the median of list L ?
a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Ans: b

I chose the correct answer but later on changed it. The final equn boils down to [(60+x)/5 ] < 7. Hence from the equality I get that x < -25.
But if I substitute some value of x < - 45, say -55, I will still get [(60-55)/5] = 1 and 1 < 7.
Can some one pls explain why x <- 45 is wrong? Am I making any silly mistake here?

Thanks
Hi aimscore,

One of the most important steps in Kaplan's methods for solving Problem Solving questions is to make sure you state the task. In this case, here is what the questions wants:
"...which of the following describes all the values of x..."
In other words, this question asks us for the definition that includes 100% of the numbers that cause the mean to be less than the median.
Now, you were absolutely correct in your testing--if you pick a number less that -45, which is also less than -25, you get a valid solution. However, you can pick a number greater than -45 and also get a valid solution! Try it out with -30, for instance.
So all values less than -45 satisfy the conditions of this problem. But not all numbers that satisfy those conditions are less than -45. Thus, choice (A) is the right answer to the wrong question, and choice (B) is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!

awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------


EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.
Join the discussion