Kaplan Problem

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Kaplan Problem

by aimscore » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:18 pm
List L: 3, 7, 24, 26, x

If x < 5, which of the following describes all the values of x such that the average (arithmetic mean) of list L is less than the median of list L ?
a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Ans: b

I chose the correct answer but later on changed it. The final equn boils down to [(60+x)/5 ] < 7. Hence from the equality I get that x < -25.
But if I substitute some value of x < - 45, say -55, I will still get [(60-55)/5] = 1 and 1 < 7.
Can some one pls explain why x <- 45 is wrong? Am I making any silly mistake here?

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 pm
aimscore wrote:List L: 3, 7, 24, 26, x

If x < 5, which of the following describes all the values of x such that the average (arithmetic mean) of list L is less than the median of list L ?
a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

I chose the correct answer but later on changed it. The final equn boils down to [(60+x)/5 ] < 7. Hence from the equality I get that x < -25.
But if I substitute some value of x < - 45, say -55, I will still get [(60-55)/5] = 1 and 1 < 7.
Can some one pls explain why x <- 45 is wrong? Am I making any silly mistake here?

Thanks
When x < -45, x is also < -25.
If x =-30 Av = 6 < 7 (x !<-45)
Don't you think you are missing this one when x <-45 ?
Hope is the dream of a man awake

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm

a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Thanks
Hi aimscore,

One of the most important steps in Kaplan's methods for solving Problem Solving questions is to make sure you state the task. In this case, here is what the questions wants:
"...which of the following describes all the values of x..."
In other words, this question asks us for the definition that includes 100% of the numbers that cause the mean to be less than the median.
Now, you were absolutely correct in your testing--if you pick a number less that -45, which is also less than -25, you get a valid solution. However, you can pick a number greater than -45 and also get a valid solution! Try it out with -30, for instance.
So all values less than -45 satisfy the conditions of this problem. But not all numbers that satisfy those conditions are less than -45. Thus, choice (A) is the right answer to the wrong question, and choice (B) is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member

by goyalsau » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:42 pm
KapTeacherEli wrote:

a. x < −45
b. x < −25
c. −45 < x < −25
d. −25 < x < −10
e. x < −5

Thanks
Hi aimscore,

One of the most important steps in Kaplan's methods for solving Problem Solving questions is to make sure you state the task. In this case, here is what the questions wants:
"...which of the following describes all the values of x..."
In other words, this question asks us for the definition that includes 100% of the numbers that cause the mean to be less than the median.
Now, you were absolutely correct in your testing--if you pick a number less that -45, which is also less than -25, you get a valid solution. However, you can pick a number greater than -45 and also get a valid solution! Try it out with -30, for instance.
So all values less than -45 satisfy the conditions of this problem. But not all numbers that satisfy those conditions are less than -45. Thus, choice (A) is the right answer to the wrong question, and choice (B) is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!

awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------

EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.