BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

How to calculate sets of arrengements, who is right?

Expert replies
by Taniuca » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:26 pm
Hello,
I'm confused and I don't know who is right.

Problem:
six children A,B,C,D,E,F are to be sitted together in a single row of six chairs. If A cannot sit next to B, how many different arrangements of six children are possible?

a) 240, b) 480, c) 540, d) 720, e) 840.

From what I read is that I should take 2 of the children as if it was 1, so then I will have 5! posibilities = 120
Then I take the 2 that are sitting together and find the possible sits for those 2; that equals to 2!=2
I multiply 120*2= 240 options.

Why in this problem do I have to substract 6!- 240 to equal 480 which is the right answer while in the following problem I don't have to?


Problem:
find the arrangements of 8 people if 3 must be sit together.
correct answer= 4320

I take 3 as a 1 person so I find 6!= 720, then I take the 3 that are sitting together and find the possible sits in this case 3!= 6
Then I multiply 720*6= 4320
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by goyalsau » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:40 pm
Taniuca wrote:Hello,
I'm confused and I don't know who is right.

Problem:
six children A,B,C,D,E,F are to be sitted together in a single row of six chairs. If A cannot sit next to B, how many different arrangements of six children are possible?

a) 240, b) 480, c) 540, d) 720, e) 840.

From what I read is that I should take 2 of the children as if it was 1, so then I will have 5! posibilities = 120
Then I take the 2 that are sitting together and find the possible sits for those 2; that equals to 2!=2
I multiply 120*2= 240 options.

Why in this problem do I have to substract 6!- 240 to equal 480 which is the right answer while in the following problem I don't have to?


Problem:
find the arrangements of 8 people if 3 must be sit together.
correct answer= 4320

I take 3 as a 1 person so I find 6!= 720, then I take the 3 that are sitting together and find the possible sits in this case 3!= 6
Then I multiply 720*6= 4320
In first question they are asking they can not sit together, and in second they are sitting together...........
Saurabh Goyal
[email protected]
-------------------------


EveryBody Wants to Win But Nobody wants to prepare for Win.
Join the discussion

by Rahul@gurome » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 pm
In the problem of 6 children A, B, C, D, E, F the question is asking that A and B cannot sit next to each other. However in the second problem, 3 people have to sit together.

So for the first problem, number of ways of arranging A, B, C, D, E and F is 6!.
If A and B are together, then total number of arrangements possible is (6-2+1)!*2 or 240.
So the number of arrangements when they are not together is 6! - 240 or 480.
Rahul Lakhani
Quant Expert
Gurome, Inc.
https://www.GuroMe.com
On MBA sabbatical (at ISB) for 2011-12 - will stay active as time permits
1-800-566-4043 (USA)
+91-99201 32411 (India)
Join the discussion