BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Does (x+y)^2 + (x-y)^2 = 170?

Expert replies
by chipbmk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:15 pm
Does (x+y)^2 + (x-y)^2 = 170?

1) x^2 + y^2= 85
2) x=y+1

OA: A

[spoiler]Please be detailed in your responses, especially for statement 2, I think I have proven that statement 2 can work. Will show later once people have given this a try.
[/spoiler]
Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by sunnyjohn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:58 pm
Answer has to be A.

please explain how u can drive
x = y + 1 ==> (x+y)^2 + (x-y)^2 = 170 OR 2(X^2 + Y^2) = 170


maximum u can do:

(X- Y)^2 = 1
Join the discussion

by chipbmk » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:22 pm
This is what I did, let me know where I went wrong ... it looks right to me.

First: I reduced the main statement to X^2+Y^2 = 85

Statement 2: x=y+1

I plugged this in to the statement above and got:

-- (y+1)^2+Y^2=85
--> Y^2+2Y+1+Y^2=85
--> 2Y^2+2Y-84=0
--> Y^2+Y-42=0
--> (Y-6)(Y+7)=0
--> Y= 6, -7

From there, I plugged those values of Y back into statement 2: x=y+1
Y=6 --> x=6+1=7
Y=-7 --> x=-7+1=-6

If you plug these values into x^2+Y^2=85, it works for both values of Y.

What did I do wrong?
Join the discussion

by TRANGZON » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:41 am
Plug x=y+1 into (x+y)^2 + (x-y)^2
(y+1+y)^2 + (y+1-y)^2 = (2y+1)^2 + 1
Cannot conclude: (2y+1)^2 + 1=170 -> B insufficient

While (x+y)^2 + (x-y)^2 = x^2 + 2xy + y^2 + x^2 - 2xy + y^2 = 2(x^2+y^2) = 2*85=170 -> A sufficient
Join the discussion

by chipbmk » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 am
Can someone please look at my work for statement 2 and tell me why it is incorrect?

Moderators? Teachers?
Join the discussion

by chipbmk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm
No one has explained why my work for statement 2 is incorrect. Anyone? Please!!

Thanks!
Join the discussion

by mridul_dave » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:49 pm
chipbmk wrote:This is what I did, let me know where I went wrong ... it looks right to me.

First: I reduced the main statement to X^2+Y^2 = 85

Statement 2: x=y+1

I plugged this in to the statement above and got:

-- (y+1)^2+Y^2=85
--> Y^2+2Y+1+Y^2=85
--> 2Y^2+2Y-84=0
--> Y^2+Y-42=0
--> (Y-6)(Y+7)=0
--> Y= 6, -7

From there, I plugged those values of Y back into statement 2: x=y+1
Y=6 --> x=6+1=7
Y=-7 --> x=-7+1=-6

If you plug these values into x^2+Y^2=85, it works for both values of Y.

What did I do wrong?

how did uget this :
First: I reduced the main statement to X^2+Y^2 = 85
this is wrong
Join the discussion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:17 pm
chipbmk wrote:This is what I did, let me know where I went wrong ... it looks right to me.

First: I reduced the main statement to X^2+Y^2 = 85

Statement 2: x=y+1

I plugged this in to the statement above and got:

.
.
.

What did I do wrong?
The bolded sentence is what you did wrong.

There is no "statement", there is only a question.

To show that statement (2) was sufficient, you assumed that the answer to the original question was "yes". Of course if you assume that the answer is "yes", you'll always get a "yes" answer.

The question reduces to "Does x^2 + y^2 = 85?"

If all we know is that x = y +1, i.e. x - y = 1, there's no way to answer the above question.
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

by chipbmk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 pm
mridul_dave wrote:
chipbmk wrote:This is what I did, let me know where I went wrong ... it looks right to me.

First: I reduced the main statement to X^2+Y^2 = 85

Statement 2: x=y+1

I plugged this in to the statement above and got:

-- (y+1)^2+Y^2=85
--> Y^2+2Y+1+Y^2=85
--> 2Y^2+2Y-84=0
--> Y^2+Y-42=0
--> (Y-6)(Y+7)=0
--> Y= 6, -7

From there, I plugged those values of Y back into statement 2: x=y+1
Y=6 --> x=6+1=7
Y=-7 --> x=-7+1=-6

If you plug these values into x^2+Y^2=85, it works for both values of Y.

What did I do wrong?
Stuart, If I rephrase the above to: Does X^2+Y^2 = 85?

Then take all I did for Statement 2 and plug in to figure out if it does equal 85 and you get a definitive yes, dont you?
Join the discussion

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 pm
chipbmk wrote:Stuart, If I rephrase the above to: Does X^2+Y^2 = 85?

Then take all I did for Statement 2 and plug in to figure out if it does equal 85 and you get a definitive yes, dont you?
Statement (2) says:

x = y + 1

If we substitute it in as you did, we get:

DOES (y+1)^2+Y^2=85?
--> DOES Y^2+2Y+1+Y^2=85?
--> DOES 2Y^2+2Y-84=0?
--> DOES Y^2+Y-42=0?
--> DOES (Y-6)(Y+7)=0?
--> DOES Y= 6 or -7?

Well, here's the problem - we have no clue what the value of y is, so there's no way to answer the question definitively.

Again, the mistake you made (and it's a very common mistake in DS) was to treat the question as though it were a statement of fact rather than just a question.

Let's illustrate with a much simpler example:

Q: Does x = y?

(1) y = 4

If we sub in y=4 to the original, we get:

x = 4

Now if we plug back in y=4, we get 4=4, which is true! That's a definite yes!

Whooooaaaa... of course it's true, since we assumed that x=y to find the value of x. However, if we think about the statement and the question, there's no way that knowing that y=4 is sufficient to know whether x=y, since we have absolutely no information about x at all. If we treat the original as a question instead, we simply end up with a new question:

Does x = 4?

and since we have no info at all about x, (1) is insufficient to answer that question.

Basically, if part of your scratchwork involves assuming that the original question is a statement of fact, you'll always end up proving that it's true.
Image

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course
Join the discussion

by chipbmk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:40 pm
Thank you for that detailed response and the over-simplified example (even though it makes me look like an idiot :) )

Just kidding, thanks though for the explanation!
Join the discussion