BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Solving an inequality equation

Expert replies
by Vemuri » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:21 pm
x² - 6x + 8 > 0 Solve for x.

I understand that for the above inequality, the 2 factors are (x-4) & (x-2). So, in effect (x-4) * (x-2) > 0. I would interpret the solution to be x>2 or x>4. But, because the inequality has no = sign, x=4 will not be part of the solution & so, x>2 will not be valid. But by saying that x>4, I would be missing x=3 (which is surely a solution).

As you can see I am completely tangled trying to find the solution. Can anyone please help?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by gmat740 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 pm
Some fundamental rules of Inequality
Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

where a>b

so,

x>a and x<b

Case II

(x-a)(x-b) < 0

so b<x< a
provided a>b


so the question you posted is Case I


(x-4)(x-2) >0
so either x> 4 or x<2

had it been:

(x-4)(x-2)<0

Case II



2 < x < 4


Hope this Helps.Let me know you have some more questions.


Karan
Join the discussion

by Vemuri » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 am
Thank you Karan for sharing the rules. I want to go a step further in understanding the rules. I will appreciate if you can elaborate for a clearer understanding.

When a>b

Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

x>a and x<b --> How did we determine this?


Case II

(x-a)(x-b) < 0

b<x< a --> How did we determine this?
Join the discussion

by lav » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 am
vemuri if you put x = 3 in x² - 6x + 8 or (x-4)(x-2)
you get

(3-4)(3-2) = (-1)(1) = -1

which is less that 0
hence x=3 is not a soln for x² - 6x + 8 >0 because -1<0 not greater
Kid in Verbal :(
Join the discussion

by gmat740 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 am
Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

x>a and x<b --> How did we determine this?


Case II

(x-a)(x-b) < 0

b<x< a --> How did we determine this?

this is something which comes from the Union and set theory, when you plot x, a and b on a number line;it will be clear
Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

x>a and x<b --> How did we determine this?
this means x belongs to a set of numbers: (Union of numbers which are greater that a and numbers which are less than b) - (numbers which fall between a and b)

-infinity -----------------b---------0----------a-----------------------+infinity
Case I(Bold Face part)


Similarly
Case II:

-infinity -----------------b---------0-------a--------------------+infinity

Hope this helps

karan





Join the discussion

by Vemuri » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:29 am
lav wrote:vemuri if you put x = 3 in x² - 6x + 8 or (x-4)(x-2)
you get

(3-4)(3-2) = (-1)(1) = -1

which is less that 0
hence x=3 is not a soln for x² - 6x + 8 >0 because -1<0 not greater
Yep, you are right. I got tangled so badly I was not checking my observations. Thanks for correcting.
Join the discussion

by Vemuri » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:32 am
gmat740 wrote:
Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

x>a and x<b --> How did we determine this?


Case II

(x-a)(x-b) < 0

b<x< a --> How did we determine this?

this is something which comes from the Union and set theory, when you plot x, a and b on a number line;it will be clear
Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

x>a and x<b --> How did we determine this?
this means x belongs to a set of numbers: (Union of numbers which are greater that a and numbers which are less than b) - (numbers which fall between a and b)

-infinity -----------------b---------0----------a-----------------------+infinity
Case I(Bold Face part)


Similarly
Case II:

-infinity -----------------b---------0-------a--------------------+infinity

Hope this helps

karan

Thanks for being patient Karan. Much appreciated.
Join the discussion

by gmat740 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:49 am
You are welcome

We are prospective B-Schools candidates and we must learn to work in group

This is just another dimension to it

Regards

Karan
Join the discussion

by aj5105 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:34 pm
Please note the correction.

Check Ian's post for more details.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/inequality-p ... 12734.html

gmat740 wrote:Some fundamental rules of Inequality
Case I

(x-a)(x-b)>0

where a>b

so,

x>a OR x<b

Case II

(x-a)(x-b) < 0

so b<x< a
provided a>b


so the question you posted is Case I


(x-4)(x-2) >0

so either x> 4 or x<2

had it been:

(x-4)(x-2)<0

Case II



2 < x < 4


Hope this Helps.Let me know you have some more questions.


Karan
Join the discussion