BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Work problem.

Expert replies
by sumittaneja009 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:18 am
Running at their respective constant rates, machine X takes 2 days longer to produce w widgets than machine Y. At these rates, if the two machines together produce 5/4 w widgets in 3 days, how many days would it take machine X alone to produce 2w widgets?

A. 4
B. 6
C. 8
D. 10
E. 12
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by canuckclint » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 am
I think I'm wrong becasue I'm getting a fractional answer but here goes:

Get everything in terms of one work w.

1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

4/(y+2) = 12/5

y = 1/3
x = (y+2) = 7/3

So it takes 7/3 days for X to finsih 1 w.
For 2 it takes 14/3 days or ~ 4.6 days.

I'll go with 4 days.

Can someone say where I have gone wrong?
Join the discussion

Re: Work problem.

by muzali » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 am
sumittaneja009 wrote:Running at their respective constant rates, machine X takes 2 days longer to produce w widgets than machine Y. At these rates, if the two machines together produce 5/4 w widgets in 3 days, how many days would it take machine X alone to produce 2w widgets?

A. 4
B. 6
C. 8
D. 10
E. 12
Y can produce w widgets in say "a" days=> X will do the same job in (a+2) days.

For (5/4)w widgets, Y will take (5/4)*a days and X will take (5/4)*(a+2) days.
Together they produce (5/4)w widgets in 3 days,
so (1/3) = (4/5)*[(1/a)+(1/(a+2)],
5/12 = (2a+2)/(a^2 + 2a)
Solving for a, we get a =4
This means X finishes w widgets in 4+2 days = 6 days
So X will finish 2 w widgets in 6*2 = 12 dys. Ans (E)
Join the discussion

by muzali » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 am
canuckclint wrote:I think I'm wrong becasue I'm getting a fractional answer but here goes:

Get everything in terms of one work w.

1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

4/(y+2) = 12/5

y = 1/3
x = (y+2) = 7/3

So it takes 7/3 days for X to finsih 1 w.
For 2 it takes 14/3 days or ~ 4.6 days.

I'll go with 4 days.

Can someone say where I have gone wrong?
Check out this step: 1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

The above step is not equal to : 4/(y+2) = 12/5 but equal to
(2y+2)/(y^2+2y) = 12/5
Join the discussion

by canuckclint » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:42 am
muzali wrote:
canuckclint wrote:I think I'm wrong becasue I'm getting a fractional answer but here goes:

Get everything in terms of one work w.

1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

4/(y+2) = 12/5

y = 1/3
x = (y+2) = 7/3

So it takes 7/3 days for X to finsih 1 w.
For 2 it takes 14/3 days or ~ 4.6 days.

I'll go with 4 days.

Can someone say where I have gone wrong?
Check out this step: 1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

The above step is not equal to : 4/(y+2) = 12/5 but equal to
(2y+2)/(y^2+2y) = 12/5
Thanks for looking into this:

The way I looked at it is add 2 to num and denom
1/(y+2) + 1/y =
1/(y+2) + (1+2) / (y+2) =
1/(y+2) + 3/(y+2) = 4/(y+2)

Can't believe I'm getting stumped on an easy one!
Any suggestions??
Join the discussion

by canuckclint » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:46 am
canuckclint wrote:
muzali wrote:
canuckclint wrote:I think I'm wrong becasue I'm getting a fractional answer but here goes:

Get everything in terms of one work w.

1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

4/(y+2) = 12/5

y = 1/3
x = (y+2) = 7/3

So it takes 7/3 days for X to finsih 1 w.
For 2 it takes 14/3 days or ~ 4.6 days.

I'll go with 4 days.

Can someone say where I have gone wrong?
Check out this step: 1/(y+2) + 1/y = 1/(5/12)

The above step is not equal to : 4/(y+2) = 12/5 but equal to
(2y+2)/(y^2+2y) = 12/5
Thanks for looking into this:

The way I looked at it is add 2 to num and denom
1/(y+2) + 1/y =
1/(y+2) + (1+2) / (y+2) =
1/(y+2) + 3/(y+2) = 4/(y+2)

Can't believe I'm getting stumped on an easy one!
Any suggestions??
Nevermind I can't add to fractions that way.
Stupid mistake!
Join the discussion

Re: Work problem.

by penumbra547 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:17 pm
muzali wrote:
sumittaneja009 wrote:Running at their respective constant rates, machine X takes 2 days longer to produce w widgets than machine Y. At these rates, if the two machines together produce 5/4 w widgets in 3 days, how many days would it take machine X alone to produce 2w widgets?

A. 4
B. 6
C. 8
D. 10
E. 12
Y can produce w widgets in say "a" days=> X will do the same job in (a+2) days.

For (5/4)w widgets, Y will take (5/4)*a days and X will take (5/4)*(a+2) days.
Together they produce (5/4)w widgets in 3 days,
so (1/3) = (4/5)*[(1/a)+(1/(a+2)],
5/12 = (2a+2)/(a^2 + 2a)
Solving for a, we get a =4
This means X finishes w widgets in 4+2 days = 6 days
So X will finish 2 w widgets in 6*2 = 12 dys. Ans (E)
Muzali, would you please explain how you got "Y will take (5/4)*a days and X will take (5/4)*(a+2) days." i assume you are using the RT=D formula? Thank You!
Join the discussion

Re: Work problem.

by canuckclint » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:35 pm
penumbra547 wrote:
muzali wrote:
sumittaneja009 wrote:Running at their respective constant rates, machine X takes 2 days longer to produce w widgets than machine Y. At these rates, if the two machines together produce 5/4 w widgets in 3 days, how many days would it take machine X alone to produce 2w widgets?

A. 4
B. 6
C. 8
D. 10
E. 12
Y can produce w widgets in say "a" days=> X will do the same job in (a+2) days.

For (5/4)w widgets, Y will take (5/4)*a days and X will take (5/4)*(a+2) days.
Together they produce (5/4)w widgets in 3 days,
so (1/3) = (4/5)*[(1/a)+(1/(a+2)],
5/12 = (2a+2)/(a^2 + 2a)
Solving for a, we get a =4
This means X finishes w widgets in 4+2 days = 6 days
So X will finish 2 w widgets in 6*2 = 12 dys. Ans (E)
Muzali, would you please explain how you got "Y will take (5/4)*a days and X will take (5/4)*(a+2) days." i assume you are using the RT=D formula? Thank You!
I'll answer for Muzali here since this one is simple,

The question tells you that for one work w, it takes X will take a+2 days
Y will take a days.

For 3 times the work it would be 3*a
So for 5/4 of the work w, just multiply
5/4*a
Join the discussion

Re: Work problem.

by logitech » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:25 pm
If X takes 2 days longer to produce w widgets than machine Y , it takes 4 days longer to produce 2w widgets

X= T days

Y = T-4 days

If 5w/4 takes 3 days, 5w=12 days, 2w = 24/5 days

I/t + 1/(t-4) = 5/24

t = 12
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"
Join the discussion

by tritrantran » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:02 am
How do you solve this problem using the box matrix (2 rows, 3 columns)? I can't seem to set up the values correctly.

X: R*T = D
Y: R*T = D

Assume w = 1

X: (1/3) * T = D(x)
y: (1) * T = D(y)

RateX*T + RateY*T = D(x) + D(y) = 5/12

(1/3)*T + T = 5/12

T = 16/5

Did I set this up right so far?
Join the discussion