BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Mod problem - anything wrong with this approach

Expert replies
by pbanavara » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:51 pm
is |x| < 1 ?

|x+1| = 2|x-1|
|x-3| != 0

Taking option 1:

x+1 = 2(x-1) or x+1 = 2(1-x) or -x-1 = 2(x-1) or -x-1 = 2(1-x)

Solving x=1/3 or x=3 Not sufficient

Option be x-3 !=0 or 3-x!=0 => x != 3 not sufficeint

Combining both x=3 which answers the question .. but the OA is different - what could be wrong here ..

Thanks,
Pradeep
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by cramya » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Is the OA E)?
Join the discussion

by pbanavara » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:02 pm
cramya wrote:Is the OA E)?
Absolutely
Join the discussion

by cramya » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm
I hope I am not missing something here.

Stmt II

|x-3| !=0 means x is not 3. It can be anything else to satisfy this equation

Stmt I

Like u said gives 2 values for x

Combining them leads us to a world of possibilities

INSUFF

E)
Join the discussion

by pbanavara » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:16 pm
cramya wrote:I hope I am not missing something here.

Stmt II

|x-3| !=0 means x is not 3. It can be anything else to satisfy this equation

Stmt I

Like u said gives 2 values for x

Combining them leads us to a world of possibilities

INSUFF

E)
Sorry I mean't : from option1 x = 3 or 1/3 from option 2 x !=3 So doesn't it imply x= 1/3 ????
Join the discussion

by cramya » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 pm
I see where u r coming form now. I will try to think some more and hopefully I can come up wiht an answer.

My thought was from stmt II x could be, to name a few 4,5,6 etc..

Combining we know x is not 3 but it could be 1/3,4,5,6,7 etc..

I am hoping others will respond too...
Join the discussion

by pbanavara » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:31 pm
cramya wrote:I see where u r coming form now. I will try to think some more and hopefully I can come up wiht an answer.

My thought was from stmt II x could be, to name a few 4,5,6 etc..

Combining we know x is not 3 but it could be 1/3,4,5,6,7 etc..

I am hoping others will respond too...
The more I think .... it's something like :

x = a, x=b
x!=b - does not necessarily mean x=a x could be c .. which I think is more in line with your explanation.

Boy this is really tricky ..
Join the discussion

pbanavara wrote:is |x| < 1 ?

|x+1| = 2|x-1|
|x-3| != 0

Taking option 1:

x+1 = 2(x-1) or x+1 = 2(1-x) or -x-1 = 2(x-1) or -x-1 = 2(1-x)

Solving x=1/3 or x=3 Not sufficient

Option be x-3 !=0 or 3-x!=0 => x != 3 not sufficeint

Combining both x=3 which answers the question .. but the OA is different - what could be wrong here ..

Thanks,
Pradeep

Here is something I learnt from this forum:
if u have statement with 2 abs on either sides of =, then u can find the boundary values by equating each side to 0 and solving. (ie. x +1 = 0 -> x = -1;
2 (x -1) = 0
2x -2 = 0
2x = 2
x =1.
Now on a number line mark off the two values of x. U will get 3 regions.
Solve for values of x for each region.



I have another question
can |x -1| = 2 |x +1| be squared on both sides to get rid of the ABS symbols?? I remember seeing something like this in the forum.
Join the discussion

by vittalgmat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 pm
OOPS!!!
the method that I suggested is applicable for inequalities
ie for |x +1| < 2|x -1|

thanks
Join the discussion

by pbanavara » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:28 pm
vittalgmat wrote:OOPS!!!
the method that I suggested is applicable for inequalities
ie for |x +1| < 2|x -1|

thanks
Yep I was about to say so :)
Join the discussion

by vittalgmat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:32 pm
Any thoughts on this question ???


can |x -1| = 2 |x +1| be squared on both sides to get rid of the ABS symbols?? I remember seeing something like this in the forum.

Thanks
Join the discussion

by Tryingmybest » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:44 pm
vittalgmat - try doing it , you will get imaginary roots , So insufficient
Join the discussion

by austin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:29 pm
Tryingmybest,

Statement 1: |x+1| = 2|x-1|
Squaring, (x+1)^2 = 4(x-1)^2
=>x^2+1+2x = 4x^2+4-8x
=> 3x^2-10x+3 = 0
=> 3x^2-9x-x+3 = 0
=> 3x(x-3) -1(x-3) = 0
=> (3x-1) (x-3) = 0

How do you get img. roots?
Join the discussion

by cramya » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:47 pm
Any thoughts on this question ???


can |x -1| = 2 |x +1| be squared on both sides to get rid of the ABS symbols?? I remember seeing something like this in the forum.
Nice thought not sure though! Vittal, if u did square it how do you see the solution panning out?

Wouldnt u still get 2 solutions? Let me know what your thoughts are.
Join the discussion

pbanavara wrote:is |x| < 1 ?

|x+1| = 2|x-1|
|x-3| != 0

Taking option 1:

x+1 = 2(x-1) or x+1 = 2(1-x) or -x-1 = 2(x-1) or -x-1 = 2(1-x)

Solving x=1/3 or x=3 Not sufficient

Option be x-3 !=0 or 3-x!=0 => x != 3 not sufficeint

Combining both x=3 which answers the question .. but the OA is different - what could be wrong here ..

Thanks,
Pradeep
IMO C

from 1 : x = 1/3 or 3 satisfy |x+1| = 2|x-1|
=> no other value of x (except for 1/3 or 3) satisfy the above equation.

from 2 : x != 3
=> x can be any value except 3

If we combine 1 and 2 , only x= 1/3 will satisfy both the equations

So IMO C

Or

we can use set theory too
Solution set for st 1 (values satisfying eq 1)= {1/3, 3}
Solution set for st 2(values satisfying eq 2) = {...-1,...-1/3,...0,...1/3....1,...2,.....2.9, 3.1....}
=> all numbers except 3

If we take the intersection of both sets we get {1/3} which is the solution set for the value which will satisfy both the equations
So x = 1/3
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Join the discussion