Veritas CR 1

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Veritas CR 1

by rajatvmittal » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 am
Sports Reporter: The city of Fair Winds has been demanding a new professional cricket team, but this demand is unreasonable and should be dismissed by the cricket association. After all, Fair Winds had a professional cricket team twenty years ago, and the team was a laughingstock.

Which of the following, if true, would NOT strengthen the argument?

Polls in Fair Winds find a lack of public support for a cricket team.
The mayor of Fair Winds is interested in a cricket team only because of the economic benefits building a stadium would provide.
A demand's being unreasonable is sufficient cause to dismiss that demand.
Fair Winds is known mostly for its famous football team.
Fair Winds has even fewer resources with which to support a franchise than it did when it formerly had a professional cricket team.

OA D. How option B strengthens the argument?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm
Hey Rajat,

I agree that B is a little weird. In direct comparison with D, B should probably be eliminated in that I think you can definitely argue that it gives a reason that they should have a cricket team (at least they get a new stadium), but the way it's written it seems to add some value to the argument by showing that a cricket team itself isn't a good idea (just the ancillary benefit).

That's what the author was going for, but I'll agree it's a stretch. This is from our Question Bank, right? While most of those questions are really good, there are definitely going to be a few that are borderline, and that's one of the reasons we love the bank in that it allows us to monitor data and get some feedback on potential questions for practice tests and in-class lessons. This is one of those I think I'll retire or heavily edit - thanks for bringing that up!
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Shazi1711 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:19 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey Rajat,

This is from our Question Bank, right?

Hi Brian,

I just got this question in my practice test and found it to be a little wierd one.

Thanks

S

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

TTT

by rnz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey Rajat,

I agree that B is a little weird. In direct comparison with D, B should probably be eliminated in that I think you can definitely argue that it gives a reason that they should have a cricket team (at least they get a new stadium), but the way it's written it seems to add some value to the argument by showing that a cricket team itself isn't a good idea (just the ancillary benefit).

That's what the author was going for, but I'll agree it's a stretch. This is from our Question Bank, right? While most of those questions are really good, there are definitely going to be a few that are borderline, and that's one of the reasons we love the bank in that it allows us to monitor data and get some feedback on potential questions for practice tests and in-class lessons. This is one of those I think I'll retire or heavily edit - thanks for bringing that up!
Brian, I just got this question from the question bank as well. I'm confused as to why D is the right answer. Couldn't you argue that because they are known for its famous football team that they don't need a cricket team; therefore, strengthening the argument?

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!