Usage of " Including "( ing modifier Rule)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Usage of " Including "( ing modifier Rule)

by aditya.j » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 pm
" Lillian Moller Gilbreth patented many kitchen appliances,including an electric food mixer and shelves inside refrigerator doors"

Iv taken this reference from Knewton Prep:

The rule states : "comma + "including" can stand for the preceding NOUN -- or the preceding NOUN + MODIFIERS, if there are modifiers attached to the noun."

Can anyone cite some more examples where this rule is tested?...i needed some more clarity on this concept..

I also needed some info on how to construct a participial phrase (like the skeletal framework of such a phrase)

Regards,

aJ

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:18 am
aditya.j wrote:" Lillian Moller Gilbreth patented many kitchen appliances,including an electric food mixer and shelves inside refrigerator doors"

Iv taken this reference from Knewton Prep:

The rule states : "comma + "including" can stand for the preceding NOUN -- or the preceding NOUN + MODIFIERS, if there are modifiers attached to the noun."

Can anyone cite some more examples where this rule is tested?...i needed some more clarity on this concept..

I also needed some info on how to construct a participial phrase (like the skeletal framework of such a phrase)

Regards,

aJ
It could be argued that including is no different from any other VERBing preceded by a comma. Check my post here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/verb-ing-mod ... 88821.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3