unexpected AWA score

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

unexpected AWA score

by workonnet1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:21 am
I got 4.0 (21%). I can not believe it. I know I am no writing wizard, but 4.0, a 21%, does not look too good.

I know that in my case, when i finished the first question (which was analysis of an argument), I did not explicitly click "next" once finished. When it ran out of 30 min time for the question, it automatically popped out of that screen, with a pop-up saying something like - your time for the question has expired. I am wondering if that means it did not record the answer that was typed on the screen. Does anyone know?
The second question, which was analysis of an issue, went ok.

I probably was not expecting a 6 in awa but a 4 with 21% sounds terrible.

Are adcoms going to judge my admission essays with AWA score?

Any advice?

I had got 730 (v40, q49) a few days ago, when I ran out of time for last 3-4 questions in each section - and had made the following post then.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/took-gmat-to ... 26660.html

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:38 pm
Dear workonnet1,

I can see why you are concerned by the AWA, but it is unclear how much it will hurt you (if at all). There is wide variance on how the AWA is used in evaluations of applicants. I think if your application essays and interview are strong, then it will help to mitigate any concern that your AWA might pose.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:750

Re: unexpected AWA score

by LSB » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:05 pm
[quote="workonnet1"When it ran out of 30 min time for the question, it automatically popped out of that screen, with a pop-up saying something like - your time for the question has expired. I am wondering if that means it did not record the answer that was typed on the screen. Does anyone know?
The second question, which was analysis of an issue, went ok.
[/quote]

I did not click next either when I wrote my test back in Sep. Called GMAC and they told me that the system would accept what was on the screen at the time the clock hit zero.

So, I dont think clicking "next" was an issue.