Undergraduate GPA in GPA Scorecard

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Undergraduate GPA in GPA Scorecard

by Aimhigh2012 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:58 am
HI All,

I gave my GMAT in May this year and scored 720.
The problem is that the "Undergraduate GPA" that i reported was based on the conversion table on MBA.com. Now i have 70% in my college degree(Highest was around 80%), which was converted to ~2.2. Now i have reported 2.2 and the same reflects on my GMAT scorecard.
I want to know is this a very lo GPA as i read through the threads on BTG and found that generally have GPA of 3+. I studied in an REC/NIT where scoring not easy, and 70% is really good. Will the low Undergraduate GPA reported on the GMAT Scorecard affect my chances, or will the transcripts and the mark-sheets that i'll submit will take care of this?
I am very nervous on this issue. Any opinions are welcome.

TIA

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:08 am
On the GMAT the schools will only care about your awa quant and verbal scores... Anything submitted from the school will trump your gpa everywhere else. D not worry about it
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kavita_Singh » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 am
Aimhigh2012 wrote:HI All,

The problem is that the "Undergraduate GPA" that i reported was based on the conversion table on MBA.com. Now i have 70% in my college degree(Highest was around 80%), which was converted to ~2.2. Now i have reported 2.2 and the same reflects on my GMAT scorecard.
I want to know is this a very lo GPA as i read through the threads on BTG and found that generally have GPA of 3+. I studied in an REC/NIT where scoring not easy, and 70% is really good. Will the low Undergraduate GPA reported on the GMAT Scorecard affect my chances, or will the transcripts and the mark-sheets that i'll submit will take care of this?

TIA
Hello Tia

Yes your low GPA could be a matter of concern. Hence you might need to prove to the admission committee that your low GPA won't be an issue. If you can tell in your application about the skills that you gained at work and beyond in the areas you had scored low, that could improve your chances.You need to indicate a positive learning. Also if you took any extra additional classes or courses in the area yuo scored low could show your initiative and might help your case.

Make sure yo follow the 'show rather than tell' principle here so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors."
Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:18 am
i think i read this incorrectly... if your GPA is a 2.2 then yes it's deemed low as it's lower than a C average. Most schools will accept a minimum of a 2.5 (although I know of folks who have been admitted to top 15 schools with even 2.2's) Not many though... actually just 1 person haha.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

by Ttronn » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 am
Althought the grades are low, you say that they are strong in terms of class rank relative to others in your program. If your transcript does not also give a "course average" grade to compare to your actual grade I would contact the institution to see if there is any documentation you can get that will explain the grade deflation.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kavita_Singh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 am

TIA
Hello Tia

You need to prove to the admission committee that your GPA won't be an issue. If you can tell in your application about the skills that you gained at work and beyond in the areas you had scored low. You need to indicate the positive learning. Do highlight your work experience to tell what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in terms of work that you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could still put in a strong set of essays. Also make sure in your work what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc are exhibited well in your application.

Make sure you follow the 'show rather than tell' principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors."
Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am
Kavita_Singh's comments are SPOT ON!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dogra meenal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:28 pm
I havn't appeared in the GMAT yet.
The problem is that the "Undergraduate GPA" based on the conversion table on MBA.com., i have 64% in my college degree(Highest was around 80%), which was converted to ~2.1.
I want to know is this a very lo GPA as i read through the threads on BTG and found that generally have GPA of 3+. I studied in an JNIT/RTU where scoring not easy, and 64% is decent. Will the low Undergraduate GPA reported on the GMAT Scorecard affect my chances, or will the transcripts and the mark-sheets that i'll submit will take care of this?
If i score really well in my GMAT will it cumpunsate my lo undergraduate GPA.

MEENAL

TIA