Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

(A) remaining this way whether or not
(B) remaining like that even as
(C) remaining as such whether or not
(D) remains in this way although
(E) remains thus even when

confused with D and E. Can anyone help?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:23 am
HannahFurr wrote:Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

(A) remaining this way whether or not
(B) remaining like that even as
(C) remaining as such whether or not
(D) remains in this way although
(E) remains thus even when
and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
A, B and C: graphite changes...and remaining
Here, changes (verb) and remaining (modifier) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate A, B and C.

Generally, in this way refers to the METHOD used to achieve a desired result.
D: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite changes...into diamond and remains in this way although the heat and pressure are removed.
Here, the subject -- graphite -- does not use a method to achieve a desired result, so the usage of in this way is unwarranted.
Also, the two portions in red contradict each other, implying that graphite is UNDER PRESSURE AND HEAT although THE HEAT AND PRESSURE ARE REMOVED.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

OA: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remains thus even when the heat and pressure are removed.
Here, remains thus = remains in this STATE.
Conveyed meanings:
Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite changes into the substance known as a diamond.
Graphite remains IN THIS STATE -- in other words, the yielded diamond does not change back into graphite -- even when the heat and pressure are removed.
These meanings are logical.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ellinoah » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:14 am
Below high pressure and severe warmness, graphite, the most strong form of pure carbon, adjustments into the substance typically known as diamond and remaining this way whether or not or no longer the heat and pressure are eliminated. Essay Writing Service Online The transformation is similar to that of carbon. beneath excessive pressure and extreme heat, graphite, the most solid shape of natural carbon, changes into diamond and stays diamond even if the heat and pressure are taken away.