UK vs Africa

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

UK vs Africa

by shobhitk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:59 am
Unlike the United Kingdom, where rain or snow usually falls throughout the year, the weather on the plains of Africa is divided into highly predictable rainy and dry seasons.

a) Unlike the United Kingdom, where rain or snow usually falls throughout the year, the weather on the plains of Africa
b) Unlike the United Kingdom, where thoughout the year rain or snow usually falls, the weather on the plains of Africa
c) Unlike that of the United Kingdom, where rain or snow usually falls throughout the year, the weather on the plains of Africa
d) While the United Kindom features rain or snow falling usually throughout the year, the plains of Africa have weather that
e) In comparison to the United Kingdom, where rain or snow usually falls throughout the year, the plains of Africa's weather

OA: C

I got confused between OA and D as only these two get the comparison right. I ruled out the OA considering "where..." should modify UK but it modifies weather in UK in the OA.

Can the experts please help me bridge the difference in understanding?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:13 pm
{C} & {D} are close ones.. but if we see the intent of the sentence then we see that meaning of the sentence is more towards the construct "Unlike X Y" as we are doing the comparison. The "While" construct doesn't seems to fit better.
R A H U L