Two players Lampard and Essien had a certain number of

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:5 members
Two players Lampard and Essien had a certain number of chocolates with them. If Lampard had 10 more than half the number of chocolates than Essien had, was the number of chocolates with Essien more than 20?

Statement 1: The difference between the number of chocolates than Lampard and Essien had was less than 30.
Statement 2: The total number of chocolates than Lampard and Essien had was greater than 5/2 of the number of the chocolates with Essien.

The OA is the option B.

I am confused. How can I get an answer using the statement (2)? Experts, may you help me here? Thanks in advanced.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am
M7MBA wrote:Two players Lampard and Essien had a certain number of chocolates with them. If Lampard had 10 more than half the number of chocolates than Essien had, was the number of chocolates with Essien more than 20?

Statement 1: The difference between the number of chocolates than Lampard and Essien had was less than 30.
Statement 2: The total number of chocolates than Lampard and Essien had was greater than 5/2 of the number of the chocolates with Essien.

The OA is the option B.

I am confused. How can I get an answer using the statement (2)? Experts, may you help me here? Thanks in advanced.
Designate the values algebraically:
Essien's chocolates: E
Lampard's chocolates: 10 + .5E

The question: Is E > 20?

Statement 1: Case 1 Say E = 10.
Lampard: 10 + .5E = 10 + .5*10 = 15. This gives us a NO, E is not greater than 20.

Case 2: Say E = 30
Lampard: 10 + .5E = 10 + .5*30 = 25. This gives us a YES, E is greater than 20.

Because we can get a YES or a NO, statement 1 alone is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement 2: The total number of chocolates than Lampard and Essien had was greater than 5/2 of the number of the chocolates with Essien. Let's express this algebraically

Total chocolates together = E + 10 + .5E = 1.5E + 10
1.5E + 10 > 2.5E
10 >E

If E is less than 10, then clearly, the answer to the question is always NO, E is never greater than 20. So Statement 2 alone is sufficient to answer the question. The answer is B.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 am
M7MBA wrote:Two players Lampard and Essien had a certain number of chocolates with them. If Lampard had 10 more than half the number of chocolates than Essien had, was the number of chocolates with Essien more than 20?

The OA is the option B.

Just as an aside: What do Lampard and Essien play? Does the game itself have something to do with chocolate? (If so, how do I find a league to participate in?) :)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course