Two black eyes by the GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Two black eyes by the GMAT

by Gmatto700 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:20 pm
Its beyond terrible! I have been preparing for the last 3-4 months intensely, not to mention this is my third time taking the GMAT. My score - Upper 500s!

The question I have is should I take the GMAT again?

What I did differently this time compared to the past?
- I had a very different strategy during my preparation this time around, and my test prep scores reflected my hardwork. I read throught the Manhattan series making notes and ensuring I understood especially the SC. In addition, as I went through questions, I spent a lot of time reviewing questions I got wrong, why I got them wrong and how to solve similar questions. I also was actively participating in various forums like this.

My prep scores:
Kaplan - ranged from 540 - 590.
MGMAT 1 - 640
MGMAT 2 - 630
MGMAT 3 - 690
MGMAT 4 - 640
MGMAT 5 - 640
MGMAT 6 - 630
MGMAT 1 (reset) - 670
GMATPrep 1 - 690
GMATPrep 1 (repeat) - 710
GMATPrep 2 - 710

After these scores, I felt confident that the worst I would do would be the upper 600s.

After my test today, when I saw my score, I was very upset- how did this happen? So now, the question is do I take the GMAT 1 more last time or give up on the idea of B-school altogether?

GMAT-ers out there - please help! I appreciate any serious feedback, suggestions and/or recommendations. :cry:

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mbadrew » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:45 pm
Sorry to hear about your defeat. What was your review strategy? You did mention that you took all the prep tests but did you spend time strengthening your core knowledge of the subjects?

I'd say keep attempting until you succeed. Henry Ford failed numerous times before he was able to put a car together. Elvis Presly received an F in music in high school. Hey this is just a grad school entrance test.

Drew

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by hemanth28 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:50 pm
what is the breakup?
GMAT First take :- 680
Getting the guns ready for second shot !!!
https://beatenbygmat.blocked

by Gmatto700 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:17 pm
Thanks mbadrew. I want to feel positive about this and really think if I can hit that 700 mark! My review strategy was to go over all the questions- understand if my methodology of working questions in the correct answers was quick, and if not learn any shortcuts. On questions I got wrong, I wrote each one out (have more than 3 notepads filled with these) and reviewed where I went wrong versus the actual answer. Then every time I was preparing to get another test, I would review all my notes- formula, SC rules, and the questions I got wrong.

In the past, when I was studying for the GMAT, I paid no attention to any of this. And in fact, my prep tests at that time reflected my poor prep. However, this time around, I know my approach was better, but for some reason, I must have let the pressure from the actual test take over.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:42 pm
Gmatto,

It seems to me that your nerves might have gotten the best of you. Judging by your scores, I would say it is very unusual that you score in the 500s. Unless you kept getting questions you did not understand or could not work out, I think you just freaked out on the test.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ssimon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:07 pm
How did you feel when you were taking the test? Did you finish each section in time?

It is very important to understand underlying concepts on the GMAT. The harder questions on the GMAT don't necessarily test harder concepts, they just test more of them in combination.

I think either nerves or time management is your problem.....

Legendary Member

by AleksandrM » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:00 am
I think that another consideration is that you were in a different environment and had different tools at hand (different computer, different pen, different pad, etc).

As per my comment about nerves, I too had a problem with nerves. I still get nervous, but I tell myself something that a member on this forum told me: I am nervous because I am afraid that I might not do well, but nervousness is the very thing that will cause me to do poorly on the test. Believe it or not, once I say this to myself, somehow I become calmer.

Legendary Member

by AleksandrM » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:25 am
Hey gmatto... and the rest of the folks out there who get nervous on the test, I suggest watching this before you take the practice or real test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjU3HWL ... re=related

Also New York State of Mind by Nas is good, but instead sing along "I'm in the GMAT state of mind." :lol:

Laughter relieves any tension.

by Gmatto700 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:32 am
Alexandre and everyone else that replied- thanks much for the advice. I really do think it was my nerves. I felt okay through the AWA section. Then I took the break, went to the restroom and looked in the mirror and tried to tell myself to remain calm. In fact the first few questions seemed easy enough. I worked through them and started to feel like this is a piece of cake. Then I think I got 1 hard question that must have thrown me off and that was it. I didn't recover after that and kept glancing at the clock and trying to determine if I was short on time or not.. etc.

So I'll definitely need to figure out a way to calm my nerves. I just can't let the GMAT get the better of me :(. Does anyone know where I could get more Quant questions that are difficult?