Tough Coordinate Geomtry question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Tough Coordinate Geomtry question

by Mo2men » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:22 am
Line Q has the equation 5y - 3x = 45. If Line S is perpendicular to Q, has an integer for its y-intercept, and intersects Q in the second quadrant, then how many possible Line S's exist? (Note: Intersections on one of the axes do not count.)

(A) 25
(B) 33
(C) 36
(D) 41
(E) 58

Source: Magoosh

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:26 am
Mo2men wrote:Line Q has the equation 5y - 3x = 45. If Line S is perpendicular to Q, has an integer for its y-intercept, and intersects Q in the second quadrant, then how many possible Line S's exist? (Note: Intersections on one of the axes do not count.)

(A) 25
(B) 33
(C) 36
(D) 41
(E) 58

Source: Magoosh
Line Q:
5y - 3x = 45
5y = 3x + 45
y = (3/5) + 9.

Draw line Q:

The slopes of perpendicular lines are NEGATIVE RECIPROCALS.
Since line S must be perpendicular to line Q -- and the slope of line Q is 3/5 -- the slope of line S = -5/3.
Thus, the equation for line S is as follows:
y = (-5/3)x + b.

If line S intersects line Q at the x-axis, the following figure is yielded:
Here, line S includes (-15, 0).
Plugging (-15, 0) into y = (-5/3)x + b, we get:
0 = (-5/3)(-15) + b
0 = 25 + b
b = -25.

The result is the following figure:

If line S intersects line Q at the y-axis, we get:

Since lines Q and S may not intersect at either axis, the resulting figure implies that the y-intercept of line S must be an integer value BETWEEN -25 AND 9.
Thus, the y-intercept for line S may be any integer value between -24 and 8, inclusive, for a total of 33 integer options.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:30 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Since lines Q and S may not intersect at either axis, the resulting figure implies that the y-intercept of line S must be an integer value BETWEEN -25 AND 9.
Thus, the y-intercept for line S may be any integer value between -24 and 8, inclusive, for a total of 33 integer options.

The correct answer is B.
Thanks for you kind support

Hoe come 33? The value between -24 and 8, inclusive should be 32. it is 8 - (-24).

Can you please help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:32 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is B.
Hoe come 33? The value between -24 and 8, inclusive should be 32. it is 8 - (-24).

Can you please help
To count consecutive integers, use the following equation:
biggest - smallest + 1.
Thus, the number of integers between -24 and 8, inclusive, is equal to the following:
8 - (-24) + 1 = 33.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:15 pm
We could also think of it algebraically.

Since the lines are perpendicular, Line S's slope = -1/(Line Q's slope) = -(5/3).

Line Q is y = 3/5x + 9, so Line S will be y = -(5/3)x + b, where b is an integer. We want to find all possible values of b.

Where the lines intersect, their x and y values are identical, so (3/5)x + 9 = (-5/3)x + b, or (34/15)x + 9 = b.

Now we just need to find a range of values for b. For the intersection to happen in Quadrant II, b must be less than 9, or else the lines will intersect in Quadrant I or on the y-axis. So we've got b < 9.

Similarly, we need Line S's x-intercept to be greater than Line Q's x-intercept, or the lines will intersect in Quadrant III or on the x-axis.

Line Q's x-intercept = -(y-intercept)/slope = -9/(3/5) = -15.

Line S's x-intercept = -(y-intercept)/slope = -b/(-5/3) = (3/5)b.

So we've got -15 < (3/5)b, or -25 < b.

Combining our two inequalities, we have -25 < b < 9, so there are 33 possible integer values of b.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:20 pm
And as an FYI, this question is pretty hard - I wasn't able to do it in under two minutes! It seems more of a conceptual exercise than something you're all that likely to see on the GMAT, but I think I could do it in two minutes next time now that I thought of how to set it up: it was cracking the second condition (Line S's x-int > Line Q's x-int) on top of all the annoying fractional manipulation that put me over time.

That said, it is kindasorta guessable in two minutes. I started with the two slopes, and got to b = (34/15)x + 9. Thinking that the x intercept needs to be an integer, I immediately thought that x is going to be something positive but less than 34, i.e. the numerator of (34/15), so I was gravitating toward 33 from the start. But that ended up being a little murky and hard to justify, forcing me to press on.