TOEFL >100, applying to Harvard Extension

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

TOEFL >100, applying to Harvard Extension

by dimovsky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:17 pm
Hello everyone,

My name is Ivo and I am currently anticipating in applying to Harvard Extension. The Extension school is one of the thirdteen Harvard schools, which is offering courses and degrees on a distance learning basis.

Prior to my application to Harvard, I need to fulfill the admission requirements, which involve a >100 result on the TOEFL exam. To be honest, I am not really worried about this necessity as I am using English on a daily basis, hence I wouldnt expect this to represent a big wall in my journey to Harvard. Having said that, I realize the test has a particular format required to be mastered, though.

In order to ensure that I wont be scoring less than <100, I have ordered the Kaplan iBT TOEFL and TOEFL OG books, which are particularly suggested to start with.

In the forthcoming weeks, I am planning to post my scores from the mock tests here together with the essays I have written for the writting section, respectively. I hope you will be able to give me some cradual feedback so that I can further develop and master the test.

Short summary of what I aim for:

TOEFL iBT: 120 (GOAL)
TOEFL iBT: 100 (required minimum)

Thanks in advace for your support, its a pleasure to be part of this club.

Regards,
Ivo.

by dimovsky » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:52 am
Hi Everyone,

Here is my first essay, I am planning to write everyday one so that I can further develop my skills for the TOEFL day.

I am trying to limit the writting time for 10 mins:

Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship.

We live in a world where relationships are the basis for every kind of human interaction. People use relationships to fundament their connectedness to one another, which results in forms of love, friendship, business and, unfortunately, even wars. Thus, such kind of interactions are very fragile in terms of keeping a healthy balance between the responsibilities of each party in the relationship. In my opinion, this implies high moral and ethical factors, which need to be taken in consideration in order to ultimately sustain a transparent and long-lasting experience ensuring thrust and belief in each other.

Firstly, I thoroughly believe that a relationship between two persons should carry the mark of trust as this is one of the main factors for stability in the relationship, the fact that your partner can trust and rely on you, surely, enhances your ability of being confident in your life endeavors when you know that there is somebody carrying about you at home.

Secondly, especially when dealing with business relationship, trust is among the most important dimensions of the long-term perspectives. For example, a company establishing an international model abroad will need to rely on local partners for its new strategy implication. Such move would require the market entering firm to rely entirely on the decisions made by the local company. Respectively, if there is no trust between such partners, there is no ground for the long-term success.

Thirdly and most importantly, I honestly believe that receiving trust from somebody means that person is certainly respecting you. In fact, to receive such a respect is very honorable act, especially in a romatic relationship where the other person has opened his heart for you. Cheating on such an endeavor and lying to this person is definitely showing low level of moral and ethics.

In conclusion, I believe that saying the truth in a relationship is the most important consideration in any relationship as it is the solely fundament of any interaction. Moreover, being able to respond to such interaction can be considered a very high-level of human development

by dimovsky » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:53 am
Hi Everyone,

Here is my first essay, I am planning to write everyday one so that I can further develop my skills for the TOEFL day.

I am trying to limit the writting time for 10 mins:

Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship.

We live in a world where relationships are the basis for every kind of human interaction. People use relationships to fundament their connectedness to one another, which results in forms of love, friendship, business and, unfortunately, even wars. Thus, such kind of interactions are very fragile in terms of keeping a healthy balance between the responsibilities of each party in the relationship. In my opinion, this implies high moral and ethical factors, which need to be taken in consideration in order to ultimately sustain a transparent and long-lasting experience ensuring thrust and belief in each other.

Firstly, I thoroughly believe that a relationship between two persons should carry the mark of trust as this is one of the main factors for stability in the relationship, the fact that your partner can trust and rely on you, surely, enhances your ability of being confident in your life endeavors when you know that there is somebody carrying about you at home.

Secondly, especially when dealing with business relationship, trust is among the most important dimensions of the long-term perspectives. For example, a company establishing an international model abroad will need to rely on local partners for its new strategy implication. Such move would require the market entering firm to rely entirely on the decisions made by the local company. Respectively, if there is no trust between such partners, there is no ground for the long-term success.

Thirdly and most importantly, I honestly believe that receiving trust from somebody means that person is certainly respecting you. In fact, to receive such a respect is very honorable act, especially in a romatic relationship where the other person has opened his heart for you. Cheating on such an endeavor and lying to this person is definitely showing low level of moral and ethics.

In conclusion, I believe that saying the truth in a relationship is the most important consideration in any relationship as it is the solely fundament of any interaction. Moreover, being able to respond to such interaction can be considered a very high-level of human development

by dimovsky » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 pm
Hello,

My second essay, hopefully there is someone willing to grade it.

Thanks

It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

It has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from experience with knowledge gained from books. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

Learning, a fundamental human right, can be considered one of the main abilities in differentiating people in terms of their knowledge and ultimate success in life. This process starts from ones' early childhood and probably lasts until his very last day. Two of the main ways to obtain such knowledge, are either to read books or to gain it through life experience. In my opinion, reading books is by far the most efficient way to accumulate such comprehension.

Firstly, people have used books to record, describe and explain their experiences since a very long time. These experiences, embracing our history, give people the basis to advance and build on an already established fundament of knowledge without the need to re-explore areas, which previous generations have documented. Furthermore, perceived as a true heritage, books are the only source of historical events and happenings.

Additionally, the nature of books and their physical representation as group of pages coupled together implies a very easy way of archiving and, thus enabling an easiness of preservation for the future. In ancient Egypt, for example, people used an early form of a book, papyrus, to write down facts of their life's, which nowadays represent the only existing artifacts of their civilization. This is inevitably, a true example of how early cultures utilized the enormous benefits which books give.

Finally, I believe that books are also perceived from people as a romantic way of acquiring knowledge. Moreover, it's not only the knowledge, which a book can bring, perhaps the feeling, touch and smell can all be representations of the unique experience one reader receives while going through a nicely written novel, for example.

To conclude, I honestly believe that books represent an essential and desirable source of information in comparison to life experiences. Unquestionably, both are great ways to gain information about our life's and the surrounding world, but, after all, only a book could open a door to unexpected knowledge, imagination and creativity.