Timing Penalties = 40-70 less points than usual =( .... 700

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Just took the GMAT, and had a terribly disappointing experience :(

The site and the forum were a great help in my prep, and I believe that all the resources here helped me get as prepared as I could have been. The crap experience was just an unfortunate circumstance I did not anticipate and I know I could have done a lot better. I just wanted to thank you all for making this a great site before I started bitching about my test :wink:

I usually score 740 on the MGMAT CATS and higher on the PP and GMAT Prep CATS (2nd to last attempt I scored 770).

The first problem I had was losing track of time when I decided things were going a little too smooth in the quant and I started checking my answers. For some reason I didn't notice that this started racking up a bit too much time and I had to rush through the last ~8 questions and did not reach the last one...

At that point I thought I could still salvage my score with a good effort in the verbal.... but it was not to be. I estimated I spent less time than I had for the first break, I came back with 3 mins to spare the first break, but found myself staring at a 5 minute time penalty. I ended up rushing the rcs and the harder scs as a result.

The administrator thought I had time to spare as well, so I filed a ticket about the incident. However they told me that in all likelihood this wasn't going to accomplish anything...

I was expecting a much higher score given my scores on simulators that had questions using what I felt were harder concepts. I started studying about 1.5 months before my test. About 2 weeks into this I tried the GMAT Prep and got 740. Within the last couple weeks I could get 740 when I was tired and wasn't focused and the week of the test I got 770 and 760 on the last 2 sims I did before test day.

I just feel pissed off at myself, at the same time i feel half dead and tired...

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:47 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences--but thanks for sharing your story in such detail.

I would definitely retake the exam--it seems like you are within reach of getting a 99th percentile score! It's certainly understandable that your concentration was thrown off from the screwed up timing penalty; hopefully your second GMAT sitting will go much more smoothly.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ReQ » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:37 pm
Thanks, I'll certainly be trying it again. In a way the month break is good since it'll give me time to recoup my energy.

At the same time I do want to get my applications to school in and with the traveling I'll be doing over the next few months the timing is going to be a pain. This is why I didn't chuck the score even though I was tempted to.

I'll probably be concentrating on my applications for some time, I'll be trying to get into the LSE. It would be ideal if I can squeeze in a retake in time for the admissions to consider, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Stuff like this just has to happen when you can least afford it :roll: