Time Given to read instructions in GMAT Paper

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
Hi All,

In the real GMAT,there is one minute time that is given to us before a section starts for example verbal/quant.....

if the time of one minute expires, then system automatically says that timer expired and you should press "OK" to continue and start the section.

Can someone please tell if we just in case delay happens in cliking "OK", then does the timer immediately starts for next section.....e.g. if just in case 30 seconds lapse before "OK" is clicked....will we get only 74:30 seconds for verbal/quant section.....

Thanks
Mohit

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:44 pm
I think you are thinking too deeply into this. Just read the instructions quickly (they should be the same as in GMAT Prep) and start the thing on time!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:56 pm
4seasoncentre wrote:I think you are thinking too deeply into this. Just read the instructions quickly (they should be the same as in GMAT Prep) and start the thing on time!
Actually someone told me that in test centre they do not allow you to sit during the break of 8 min....

and I practice using creation of elimination sheet...i.e. A,B,C,D, E for verbal part....it takes me around 3-4 min for the same.....

if time can be stopped by holding pressing the "OK" button....then I can continue with my current method...else I will have to find out something different for elimination of options

Can someone please tell ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by 4seasoncentre » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:16 pm
If you are saying you aren't allowed to spend your break time at the computer console, then you are correct- breaks are to be spent in the bathroom/reception area.

I see what you mean about trying to create your chart outside of the allotted 75 minutes, but I don't see a way around it. The time given for you to read the instructions is meant for just that. In fairness, the creation of the chart should count against your time, but I think it is well worth it. It will only cost you like 30 seconds to get started and then you just add on as needed.